Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different question...Just how much will a good "street" cam wake up a "street" car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Different question...Just how much will a good "street" cam wake up a "street" car?

OK, this is kind of a different question for everyone and really has nothing to do with dyno #'s, etc. I've been a member of LS1TECH since the very beginning and am currently on my second LS1 ('02 M6 Z28). Now, I already know your average "street-cammed" stock-headed LS1 w/ most or all of the bolt-ons puts out anywhere from 375-400rwhp SAE corrected (depending upon drivetrain, cam grind, & supporting mods). And obviously, some of the bigger cam selections that I don't really consider "streetable" are taking many stock-headed LS1's well over 400 and into the 450's (with really wild set-ups).

So, my questions then is, about Seat Of The Pants feeling of a cam? Currently, my LS1 has a lid, MAFT, longtube headers w/ highflow cats, & 3" cat-back (it dynoed 341/353 SAE on Speed Inc's dynojet chasis a couple years ago). Sure, my car is fast for what it is, but I'm bored with the power (got way to used to it) and really want to wake it up again.

Knowing all that, can you really feel the increase in the powerband with a descent cam + tuning? I'm interested in something along the lines of a 224/224 or 228/228 on a 112 and will also be doing some 4.10 gears along with it at the same time. I just want to get in my car and be like DAMN. But I'm not sure, because I've never really felt much of a difference from any of my prior bolt-ons (including the LT headers).

Remember, "street" cam ONLY LS1 guys...What are some of your experiences after the cam install? And was the SOTP's difference small or big?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-21-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you joking? Changing a cam is like driving a new car.....and when you get on the loud pedel you know it.....

With proper tuning, and a decent sized street cam, you can gain ~50hp to the wheels.

It feels alot different seat of the pants. And with the gears, you are going to get to max power really quick, and its going to put you into the seat, and having your passangers hanging on

Just get the damn cam already, and a 100 shot, and tell me what you think
Old 04-21-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cam and gears will make you go "oh damn". . . for a while anyway.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and than once you get that it never ends !!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the imput so far, but no, I'm not joking (at all). Actually, I got to drive and get on my friend's cam only '99 Formula that dynoed 392rwhp SAE last year and to my surprise, it didn't pull as hard at WOT as I thought it would. And the low-end felt soggy (compared to my stock-cammed car). I dunno, maybe it's because it had the stock 3.42 gears. But it was fully tuned by Speed Inc, so the car was running nicely.

I'm going to do it, but just thought I'd get some opinions on how big of a SOTP difference the cam made?
Old 04-22-2006, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'SOTP' goes hand in hand with traction as well as gearing. Get some 3.73s or numerically higher and some sticky tires with your cam and you'll 'feel' it much more. When I'm at the track and make a pass and it really hooks..I'm like 'damn, that felt like it pulled alot harder'....and its only 2 tenths faster than the previous pass......but it sure as hell felt good haha.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nite and day between the stock cam and the TSP 225 that I had in my previous a4 car. Can't wait to get one for the new car....but bigger.