Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

’98 stock Vette heads into Stage2 Questions, Help PLZ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ’98 stock Vette heads into Stage2 Questions, Help PLZ!!!

Yes I tried the search button but came up w/ nada as usual!!!
Im about to get a set of ’98 heads off a vette for $75bucks+shipping from Bottlerocket(a member of this board) that I want to get modified to stage2 specs like 2.02/1.57valves and flowing 290cfm+intake and 225+cfm exhaust to put on my ’98 TA. I’ve got a guy that’s gonna port them for me(he’s done a few sets of LS1 & LT1 heads that turned out damn good) for around $400-$500 bucks(that decent) but some friends and I are gonna assemble them and install them. I know I need valves, valve seats, springs, retainers, gaskets etc etc
My questions are: What are all the parts that I need???
What are the best brands???
About how much will all this cost??
Sorry if this kinda questioning has been beaten to deat but this is my first attempt at doing heads myself so any help would be most appreciated since search doesn't work, nor on the regular internet unless I'm just a dumbass!!!!!! Thanks guys/gals!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time your done it would have been cheaper to bolt a pair of LS6 heads on, i would reccomend the TSP but i'm bias.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl‘m‘иąŧψя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I would suggest the 243 Patriot castings. You will be looking into the same price range. Unless you are in this for the learning aspect then go for it! You are going to have to take them to a machine shop most likely for valve seats and a cleanup mill.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steveb
By the time your done it would have been cheaper to bolt a pair of LS6 heads on, i would reccomend the TSP but i'm bias.
really, i figured it'd be alot cheaper to do it urself
Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Well, I would suggest the 243 Patriot castings. You will be looking into the same price range. Unless you are in this for the learning aspect then go for it! You are going to have to take them to a machine shop most likely for valve seats and a cleanup mill.
so are you saying i should just buy a set already done? Price is my main concern but I was doing it for learning to!! I'd hate to back out on this guy but nothing has been shipped or money sent yet but if it's gonna cost just as much if not more than just buying a set of stage 2 patriots then i guess im gonna be a *** and back down.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl‘m‘иąŧψя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After all the time and parts have been paid out, you will be happier with a built set from a sponsor in the end. That is just my thoughts on it though. If it was me I would get the heads and have them fixed up and sell them complete to fund for heads already assembled. That way you get the cheaper price in the end and the experience!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
After all the time and parts have been paid out, you will be happier with a built set from a sponsor in the end. That is just my thoughts on it though. If it was me I would get the heads and have them fixed up and sell them complete to fund for heads already assembled. That way you get the cheaper price in the end and the experience!
Not a bad idea but i can always get experience helpin out my bro-in-law w/ easier stuff like the heads on his 88 monte SS cuz now im leaning towards just getting a sponsers set which would mean backin out on this guy Bottle Rocket even though no products or money have been exchanged, only PM's. Do you think that'd be pretty fuc*ed up?