Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the correct way to refill the coolant once you have completed a head swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats the correct way to refill the coolant once you have completed a head swap?

I have filled the radiator up to the cap five times now, and I know that I have not refill all the coolant that I took out at the start of the head swap project; I saved the coolant because it was nearly fresh anyway.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to start the car up and let the thermostat open and you will be able to fill it more.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed, plus any left over coolant that won't fit directly into the radiator can go in the reservoir tank. I'd make sure there aren't any foreign particles in the coolant you're re-using. Hell, I'd buy a new jug of dex-cool for peace of mind if it were my car.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

The easiest way I have found to get the system full and without air pockets is to drill a few 1/8" holes in the thermostat. I had trouble before this with the engine overheating while I tried to fill it.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some have had good luck removing the small hose that goes from the steam tube to the the throttle body and let the air out there.

I fill it to about 2 inches below the radiator neck, let it reach operating temperature with the cap off, this will take a few minutes, then once the sytem "burps" as the thermostat opens, refill it to the bottom of the neck, and fill the coolant tank to full hot, put the cap on. Let it cool completely, refill to the neck again, put the cap back on and you should be good to go.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Banned

Ditto. Just fire the car up with the cap off, fill to top, wait for t-stat to engage and then refill to top. Close and drive.

Nate