LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   G5x3 cam in a vette? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/627770-g5x3-cam-vette.html)

Mcduffys 12-22-2006 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
will it fit under 853 or 241?

Both as long as they are not milled.

98SS2836 12-22-2006 11:29 AM

Ok I have The G5x3 on a 112 and love it. Fitment It fits under my AFR 59cc heads with a stock size comedic no problem I rev it up to 6800 I shit at 6400-6600 In my sig is three exhaust sound clips one with stock muffler one loud mouth and one duel cut outs. It will be tight if you mill stock heads "alot".
Drive ability is good stop and go is kind of a pain but livable. I have spohn torque arm so I have road noise and more bucking below 1500 rpms. Cam's not made to run below that. Cruising its awesome 2000-2600 its very tame an docile but as soon as you go above that it starts to ramp very hard and keeps going harder and harder. Cam produces a very good torque curve. A 114 Will probably net you a few more peak torque numbers probably 5-15 as I have been seeing and around the same peak HP. This cam needs the right combo of parts to compliment it though Some good headers, (which I don't have need stepped ones) and a FAST 90/90 set up will set the cam apart. A MAMO ported FAST has proven Excellent numbers with this cam. Tuning I have run the car in every mode possible It hates the MAF but with a shit load of time can be run with it I choose not to because I think it is a restriction. I run the car in OLSD. I get better fuel command in this mode and it runs better. It needs to be tweeked a little more often due to my 98 operating system. I would Definitely suggest this cam to anyone who wants very good power and street-ability.
Cam specs are not released but it has been said that It checks in at 234/242 .600 .610 112/114

N4cer 12-22-2006 01:06 PM

Yup, those are the specs that mine measured at as well. I love my X3. I picked my setup to rev to close to 7000 without going over. That's why I went 112 instead of 114. I wanted it to pull hard and blow its load and not leave me wishing for a forged bottom end to rev higher.

I've never heard of any car-educated person not liking this cam. Only one guy and he seemed a little like a 'net learner instead of a car driver, if you know the type I mean.

N4cer 12-22-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JRracing
I have a x3 copy cat cam for sale. will be out of the car this weekend. It a comp 234/242 591/601 114 lsa

That's not a copy. The G5X3 is:
234/242 .600/.610 112/114 +4

Originally Posted by Dandy Don
Would the valves be close to the dreaded piston with this cam. I am wanting to make up my mind on a cam for the Z but was not wanting to get into flycutting the pistons.

I made the mistake on my first h/c swap of not flycutting, and it was STUPID. There's no reason to not flycut. It's cheap and simple, and you get the most out of your setup. It drives better and pulls better and just makes better power. LG and TEA both agreed that this cam makes far better numbers with proper compression than without.

Flycut if that's what you need to get the proper compression ratio. I did, and it was worth every penny, and all 30 minutes.

z28misfit 12-22-2006 01:32 PM

I would imagine if you are going with an aftermarket head that is milled,it would be a good idea to flycut. I've already talked to LG on the matter and they say for the most part an x3 will clear with stock unmilled heads. I'm currently running the x4 on my Z28 and didn't flycut. The cam cleared very well. There again I have stock unmilled heads. Depending on what heads you decide to go with they can actually gain clearance. It sounds dumb because usually they are going to have bigger vavles but when they change valve angles from stock 15, to 13 they say they gain a couple thousands of clearance. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Dandy Don 12-22-2006 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by wavrdr
02' ZO6 here....

Previously running cam-only I made 437whp/396wtq

mods:
G5X3/114
LG LT's (offroad)
GHL catback
Halltech airbridge
Vararam
160* thermo

the car also had a Spec stg 3 and an alum. flywheel and went 11.70 at 121.xx with high 1.7 60' times....

I personally think the G5X3 is a badass cam!

Waverdr, are you running on the stock 243 castings and made that whp? If that is the case, I may just leave the heads till next year and put the cam in with the headers and the rest of the stuff mentioned.
That rocks
Don :drive:

Mitch.Shea 12-22-2006 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sigforty
You are going to need more mods to make the 440 hp mark I think. I would also take it to a tuner because a mail order and your brother's tuning will not get you there. There is a learning curve to tuning.

No tuners out in hawaii, but i really just want over the 400rwhp mark and then i will work from there. im thinking of going the 7/8 headers because of the long run and i dont want todo things twice but i will do more research on that. i also have the ls7 clutch and donot launch over 3,500 so it think the setup will be good for high 11's and im sure i will eventually buy my brothers kit and spray a 100 shot.

98SS2836 12-22-2006 05:31 PM

AFR's Cut to 59cc Which would put me around 11.4-11.5 Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems to be plenty good for this cam.

Bill00Formula 12-22-2006 06:34 PM

Actually there are longer lifters. I have crane.

I'm no expert but my understanding is that many of the the bigger cams have a smaller base circle to get the higher lift. As a result, the lifter comes out further so there is less material holding them in place. It seems that depending on the tolerances of the related parts, some people have problems while many do not.

Both Paul and myself had issues where the lifter actually turned resulting in ruined parts and requiring a rebuild.

By the way I have that cam on a 112 w/ MTI ls6 stage II theads. Car has stock wheels w/ drag radials and 3650 lb race weight. Back in October I ran a new best of 11.46 at 123.3 on a 1.75 60'. My best mph is a 123.6.

06cobaltSS 12-22-2006 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch.Shea
The z06 mn12 is more aggressive then the mn6 for the first few gears.. feals like i have some 3.90's in from it. I think i will eventually get higher gears as money limits my mods but the plan is

kooks 7/8 lt's
pp ls6 heads
ls6 intake
g5x3 cam
ud pulleys
cai

hoping to make 440 na when done and enjoy the car from there. thanks again for the advice please inform me with more info on what i should do for the long run so i dont have todo things twice.

Q's

Is this a blower/n20 friendly cam?
will it let my Z06 TI exhaust come alive?
my brother also is getting hp tuners and i will let him tune the car but should i get a mail order tune and let him workout any bugs?

I have everything that's in your list except my cam is a custom grind but its almost the same as a g5x2 and I have 1 3/4 Lt's. Also I don't have the ud pullies and I made 440rwhp. So i think you'll be looking at more like 450+.

wavrdr 12-22-2006 09:18 PM

My numbers were made with untouched LS6 heads...they never were lifted from the shortblock and the car ran hard...

I'm now running this combo with 59cc ETP's, a ported fast, and an EWP and let me tell you the car moves!

No credible dyno numbers, but on my street setup I went 1.82 60', and 11.56 at 122.xx at +2000 DA!

Obviously I'm very happy with the setup and personally feel the car could touch 10's in good air on a CCW drag pack....

Mitch.Shea 12-22-2006 10:56 PM

ok guys thanks for all the help i will do some more research some more and i will let you know how it goes.

pdd 12-23-2006 12:03 AM

good luck wiit it bro- always here good stuff about that cam, especially wit the afrs :)