Sponsored by:

FIPK + EWP dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: FIPK + EWP dyno results

[quote]
But another question. When you went with a straight MAF, no filter at all, you lost 3HP. Do you think it's possible that you may be running lean? With the FIPK being more of a restriction then a straight MAF could it have richened up the A/F ratio and that's why you lost the 3HP?
<hr></blockquote>

The AF ratio was unchanged. The FIPK was getting a large volume of fresh air from a fan under the car (via my FRA). The maf with fernco stuck on it (small extension) was slightly in front of the FRA and did not get the full benefit of the fan.
The FIPK also had a "smooth bellows" between the maf/tb that might have been helping power a bit. The open maf, lid+filter were both done with the stock bellows.

What is most significant to me is that the lid+filter, FIPK, and open maf were all very close in power. That really tells me that the lid/FRA is working fine.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

Has anyone compared the IAT between the FTRA and the FRA? I would think the FTRA would record a lower temp because the air doesn't make contact with the whole front of the radiator like the FRA.

Anyway, here's a writeup on the FTRA with some good info:

www.installuniversity.com

Click on Tech Articles.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the K&N FIPK is similiar in power, its a better route to go for the A4 guys. Those of us with tranny coolers and a FTRA have too much of our radiator blocked off. If I can get rid of the FTRA and not lose power going to a FIPK, its a good deal. My car will stay running a little cooler in the summertime.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

If I already have a tranny cooler in the front of my radiator, can I install a FTRA? Or do I have to move my cooler first?
Old 02-28-2002, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[quote]Originally posted by Terry Burger:
<strong>If I already have a tranny cooler in the front of my radiator, can I install a FTRA? Or do I have to move my cooler first?</strong><hr></blockquote>

you *might* be able to with the correct fitment but most likely your gonna have to pull of the FTRA and mount the tranny cooler or find a different spot to mount the tranny cooler. ( i wouldn't want both the FTRA and T. Cooler blocking the radiator, thats pushin it)