Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do i need to buy to put 98 valve covers on my 00??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do i need to buy to put 98 valve covers on my 00??

I'm putting 98 milled heads back on my 2000 SS, and I have taken the powder coated 98 valve covers and put my coil packs (taken apart from the brackets) and put them directly on the valve covers. However, these valve covers have the perimeter bolt pattern.. so i know i'll need valve cover bolts (9 on each side, instead of the 5 center ones) but, the coil packs did not fit exactly.. the number 1 & 8 are kinda **** eyed as this was the only way i could get them to work.. (the number 8 and 1 have only 1 bolt instead of two) but it looks like it will work.

ok, my question is on the drivers side valve cover it has a return/hose (not sure what it is) but, the hole is a different size than on my 2000 cover.. is there a gromet i can buy or should i fab something to kinda seal it.. does that hose have to be completely air tight. and what is that hose anyway, does it need to be there or can i just cap it??

On the other side (passenger) i can't seem to get the oil cap housing (that fits into the cover) off.. should i buy one of those for a 98 also??

what a pain in the ****...

any thoughts or comments are more than welcomed.

thanks for any input you guys can give me.

Devin.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: What do i need to buy to put 98 valve covers on my 00??

First of all I am in Ft. Worth, Second I'm doing the opposite, so if you want to swap, I'd be glad to.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went from 98 heads to 99 heads so all you will need to do it just go to the auto parts store and get the correct size bolts for the valve covers and it will go down to get the oil cap housing off take a channel lock pliers and grip the at the bottom where it sticks out and turn it a 180 deg. and it comes right off.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:13 PM
Launching!

I went from 98 to 99 style heads. On the left side valve cover that fiting is for the pcv system you will need to fab a way to connect your pcv line to it. The oil filer neck on the other valve cover has a release tab on the inside you can see if you look at it closely. I swaped my oil filer neck over and it leaked though. A new neck from the dealer is cheap and wont leak for sure. The neck is the same for all years.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys..
LS1Malibu i send you a PM.

Any ideas on how to fab something up for the pcv valve that goes on the drivers side VC??