Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil to use for cam break in and other lube questions!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil to use for cam break in and other lube questions!

I got a compcams camshaft instructions state that they don't recomend using synthtic oil for the first 100 miles. I have only ran Mobile 1 since owning the car, should I switch back for this first 100 miles? I just don't want to do anything to cause failure. I coated all bearings with engine assembly lube and all the cam lobes as well. It states to coat the cam journals in regular oil - I'm not really sure what the journals are? The car is about 3 - 4 weeks from being ready since heads are still being machined. All parts look to be in great shape I have almost all bolt holes spotless and the deck surface is ready for my cometics gaskets as well. I'm just trying to do things right the first time around. It's a 5.7L with compcams XR269HR-14,which from what I have been told is a pretty mild cam good for a daily driver. Should the fuel injectors be upgraded with this cam? Car has high mileage but hasn't been beaten on very little carbon build up on the pistons and at the top of the cylinders.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam journals are the circular parts of the cam where it rides on the bearings. There are five of them. I don't think non-synthetic oil is necessary for a cam install.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car? If its a pretty small cam, you should be ok if you have the 28lbers, but if you have a 99-00 car, you have the small 26ers, you could run close to maxing those out.

As far as the oil concern goes, I have always used Mobil 1, and didnt change it to a diff oil after the cam swap. I did the same thing as you, put engine assembly lube on the camshaft, and I also put some on top of the valve-stems where the rockers would contact them.

The journals are the "bearing journals", they are in between the lobes.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

all questions answered mine's an 01 and I'm getting ready to put the new one in! This is where it gets good it's the put it back together not take it apart stage anymore! Thanks for all your help if you need any torque specs or anything not too technical feel free to ask!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

if it was me i would use some regular oil at first and then change it out like they say to.the problem with synthetic oil is it don't let new parts wear in like they need to.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roller cam = no breaakin. Step 1, Install cam. Step 2, heat cycle the springs if you so desire. Step 3, Bring to redline on street or dyno. You can run cheap oil if you want to drain it soon after the swap, otherwise I would just run what you normally would. Maybe even run the old oil for a couple miles.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

safe to mix these oils with your motor?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Absolutely safe to mix synthetic and conventional motor oils with in the crankcase. All API licensed oils must pass a homogeneity and miscibility test (method ASTM D6922) which would look for negative interactions between oils.

Reference: Table G-4 Requirements for API Service Category SM, Attachment 1 to API 1509 15th Ed. Technical bulletin 3.
http://www.api.org/certifications/en...lletin%203.PDF

Search this Thread