Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please give me advice if a bigger cam is for me

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please give me advice if a bigger cam is for me

bought the car new in apr 04, my mods were done at 9kmi. today i have 50k, i have about 80 passes at the track and lots of mixed driving. i love the way the car sounds and feels now. i want to improve my track times by way of more peak hp. considering my driving habits, can i go larger or is this the end. also would just a rocker ratio increase do the trick. any advice would greatly be appreciated from those who are familiar with my h/c package. thanks a million. oh, i did the h/c work myself, so any further mods i can do myself and save some much needed money.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Higher rocker ratio isnt going to net you much at all. You can go much bigger on the cam and stay streetable and still make great power up top. My 232/236 is very drivable IMO, the only complaint I have with it is that I have a dumped dual exhaust and it is kinda loud. the driving habits of it are perfectly fine though.

I vote for going bigger, something in the 228-230 range might be a good idea
Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
Higher rocker ratio isnt going to net you much at all. You can go much bigger on the cam and stay streetable and still make great power up top. My 232/236 is very drivable IMO, the only complaint I have with it is that I have a dumped dual exhaust and it is kinda loud. the driving habits of it are perfectly fine though.

I vote for going bigger, something in the 228-230 range might be a good idea
keep the same lsa or go a little wider? thanks for chiming in brad!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

same LSA, i agree with Brad
Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jetblast
keep the same lsa or go a little wider? thanks for chiming in brad!
A 112 LSA on a mid size cam will still idle ok, just a bit more lopey though. No problem.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Why not look at something like the FM13. That seems to be about the middle of the road between what most people would say is a big cam or a small cam.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

stick or auto? if auto a small stall would work wonders for acceleration while not doin too much damage to the MPG/driveability.
you can go bigger on the cam and still be very driveable, but at the expense of fuel mileage. most guys dont drive there modded cars 15K a year, but Ive heard alot of people comment on either side of how there camm'd car affected there fuel mileage.
I too think 112LSA/ICL is a good compromise for power/torque/MPG. you could advance it for more of a lower rpm curve, but that overlap directly affects MPG. something in the range of 228/232 would be what Id be looking at. but Im no cam expert, hopefully predator or patrickG will chime in here soon.
but for anyone to give you any good advice, you gotta explain a little better your tolerances. do you mind some lope? is low end power very important? is MPG a major concern? emmisions? what kind of ET gain are you looking for to make the cost worthwhile? thats a big one. cause a step up or two in the cam duration might only net .2 over what you got. at what point would you think its not worth the money/time? also looks like you havent had a dynotune yet? you could gain in every department by getting a dyno tune. the"beginner tune" makes me think your not that experienced at tuning and might have it close, but still be leaving lots of power and A/F ratio on the table with the current cam.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Ok be prepared! I have the answer.

Nitrous. Sure, I agree with the others that you can probably snag 10 more degrees on the intake side, but if you love how it drives now, why change it?

I'm sure you can easily spray a 100 shot while at the track and you'll gain more than any cam swap while still retaining the current mannors. Something to consider at least...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I lost no power anywhere and it pulls hard from down low.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hype
Ok be prepared! I have the answer.

Nitrous. Sure, I agree with the others that you can probably snag 10 more degrees on the intake side, but if you love how it drives now, why change it?

I'm sure you can easily spray a 100 shot while at the track and you'll gain more than any cam swap while still retaining the current mannors. Something to consider at least...
I used to think that too until I got this new setup, there is nothing like having the power there all the time, when i go half throttle it pulls very hard compared to before.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
I used to think that too until I got this new setup, there is nothing like having the power there all the time, when i go half throttle it pulls very hard compared to before.
No doubt, but he only said improve his track times. Personally I'd go a bigger H/C package if I was him, but I don't go to the track near as much, I just enjoy playing some on the street.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Default cam advice

Originally Posted by Hype
No doubt, but he only said improve his track times. Personally I'd go a bigger H/C package if I was him, but I don't go to the track near as much, I just enjoy playing some on the street.
thanks for all the advice to all . i do have a 6m, fuel consumption is not much concern , i tuned for fuel efficiency below 2000rpm with the cam i have now, but don't care if i can't with a bigger cam, i like the lope, and i have been to the dyno a on a few occasions to chart my progress, i have a wideband connected. the nitrous could be a quick way to get that extra kick, but i want it full time.