Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are SLP H/C combos worth the money???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are SLP H/C combos worth the money???

The D1SC is out due to a new house payment that I will be starting in a few months so I'm thinking about the SLP 525hp H/C combo. I know that AFR heads are good but is it worth the $3000 for the kit? I have about $5000 to play with and want to do the H/C swap right and change out to a OZ700 clutch. I would love to go with the AFR's but I was wondering if there was a cheaper head that I could use and see the same power. Patriots or Darts seem to be about the right price but will they come close. If I can save $1500 or so a few less HP/TQ#'s is OK with me. Also what size and stage heads if not the AFR's?

I have a Strange 12 bolt, UMI adj. panhard bar and UMI adj. tunnel mounted TQ arm waiting to go in as well.

What do yall think and what #'s have you seen?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

The Darts are great for the money. If you're concerned with money, I'd go with those over the AFRs.

I made 471/416 with my old Dart 225cc setup.. Nothing wrong with them
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

ive been wondering about the slp 525 horse package also. does it really produce those numbers? anyone got proof?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

well I'm pretty sure that the SLP package is talking about 525 CRANK horse power, not rear wheel. this wont be the cheapest way, but if you have some money to spend I'd recommend getting some TFS 215cc cylinder heads, mated with a good cam and with all the bolt on's you could be making close to if not 525 REAR WHEEL horse power. In my opinion those are the best cylinder heads out right now. they retail for about $2395.00. I dont know what part of the country your in, but you can talk to Ron @ vengeance and he can put together a good package for you.

Reference:Trickflow/Vengeance racing 521/464

but if you want to go the cheaper route ($$ wise) then TEA, PRC put together good ported factory casting cylinder heads. Dart is a good cheap aftermarket casting.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Launching!

thats probably crank power, as thats what slp is good for, if your looking for cheap good power, I'd go prc, they work well & not just for the price, cam is all upon what you want, but I would say get the heads, cam, pushrods, lifters, slp or powerbond pulley, their the same, and some good rocker arms and the electric water pump, depending on the cam choice you wood easily be good for 470s with a good tuner. I would say call tsp and tell them your goals for power, they are real good, and even though they get into it with some other venders on here, they will tell you where to go if they can't provide you with what you want, and they deffinately have one of the best costomer service quality I ever had
Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. I really want to see 450+ to the ground and know that the AFR's would do it but if there is a less expensive option I'm all for it. Also I'm planning for a 230/230, or just a bit larger, on a 112 to 114 LSA/CL and .590"/.590" lift. Any other ideas for the heads or cam. I need good streetability this is my DD after all.

Oh yeah stupid question who is "PRC"?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
CARTEK Racing

SLP is garbage!

If you're going to spend money go to shops that have actualy backed up their power and performance claims.

TSP
LG
CARTEK
Vengence

and so on. I have never seen an SLP car run ANY numbers and I live 45min from their base of opperation in Toms River. One would think that living in NJ I would see at least one SLP H/C car run at Englishtown or Atco... but not so much. I wonder why that is? Oh I know, cause their engine packages are CRAP!

LOL

Good Luck
Old 03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. I always thought they were just over priced. What do you think about heads for me. I am sitting at 349 to the ground right now. Who do I go with to find those extra 100+?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are talking about crank HP, and even then the numbers are artificially inflated. I dont trust SLP for internal engine parts.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Selki
Thanks for the input. I really want to see 450+ to the ground and know that the AFR's would do it but if there is a less expensive option I'm all for it. Also I'm planning for a 230/230, or just a bit larger, on a 112 to 114 LSA/CL and .590"/.590" lift. Any other ideas for the heads or cam. I need good streetability this is my DD after all.

Oh yeah stupid question who is "PRC"?

Thanks
PRC= Precision race componets

there affiliated with Texas Speed and Performance (TSP)

with a well thought out setup any of the vendors listed above could give you your 450+ but you need to hit all the details.

do some searching around in the dyno forum on each of the cylinder heads listed above and you'll see each one can meet your goals.

Last edited by ProjecT 9; 03-26-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

I would choose another set up besides slp. AFR heads are good but i would say look at other packages from other shops.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
SLP is garbage!

If you're going to spend money go to shops that have actualy backed up their power and performance claims.

TSP
LG
CARTEK
Vengence

and so on. I have never seen an SLP car run ANY numbers and I live 45min from their base of opperation in Toms River. One would think that living in NJ I would see at least one SLP H/C car run at Englishtown or Atco... but not so much. I wonder why that is? Oh I know, cause their engine packages are CRAP!

LOL

Good Luck

Explain how an AFR 225 head is garbage?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

To many ******** in this thread not breaking down the money. AFR 225 heads cost how much? A new cam cost how much? Look at the package and see what's included before you go dissing SLP.
That flippin venegence post even tells you to drop 20hp and torque to get the real numbers right. And those heads are $3000 due to having to buy aftermarket rockers. The Darts are good and they dont enough playtime around here I suspect because there isnt a Dart rep on the board to talk them up. Other vendors have friends who always throw the bullshit down no matter what the facts are.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
To many ******** in this thread not breaking down the money. AFR 225 heads cost how much? A new cam cost how much? Look at the package and see what's included before you go dissing SLP.
That flippin venegence post even tells you to drop 20hp and torque to get the real numbers right. And those heads are $3000 due to having to buy aftermarket rockers. The Darts are good and they dont enough playtime around here I suspect because there isnt a Dart rep on the board to talk them up. Other vendors have friends who always throw the bullshit down no matter what the facts are.
Well the H/C package is $3000 and that includes a set of built heads and a cam. Noithing else. No rockers, which is not included in the $3000, no gaskets, no bolts noithing. As I said in the original post while I don't want to spend the money but I would if I couldn't get what I wanted out of another brand. If you think that SLP is being bashed around... Sorry. I just wanted some info to make my choice easyer. Hell I have SLP on my car right now but I just can't see spending $3000 for a H/C on a car that is not going to spend all day every day at the track.

Also thanks for the "vote" for the Darts.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

Honesty the SLP deal isnt bad. Those AFR heads are $2450 alone, an LG cam is $450 so eveyone who is bashing SLP on this do the math.

But like you said if your not at the track you dont need them. Also unless your running bigger than 346 cubes you dont really want a 225 runner head. The Darts are a good deal and so are the Patriot 243's and the PRC 2.5's. You can produce a great h/c combo for $2000 or less. A lot less if you get used heads.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
SLP is garbage!

TSP
LG
CARTEK
Vengence

LOL

Good Luck
Not sure why you think the SLP setup is "crap” Obviously you are entitled to your own opinion. But here is mine.

We rate our packages at the crank because depending on the trans and the rear in the vehicle you will get different RWHP #s. It is impossible to test every possible trans and rear combo. Flywheel ratings are industry standard not an SLP standard. Our package is SAE corrected (NOT STP CORRECTED) at the flywheel and will make 525HP with a Fast 90/90, Longtubes, and catback. Do not expect to make this power with stock supporting parts and this head and cam package, it is not possible. Please check out the link below for some results with both AFR heads and our new L92 heads. No "crap" numbers there.

http://www.slponline.com/coming_soon_12293.asp

As far as I am aware the lowest price for a 225cc AFR head is about $2450.00 if you are lucky to find that. We are right there. We have some distributors of our parts that we can not sell lower then as we upset the apple carts of our parts. If you want you can shop around at places like LM Performance for a cheaper price on the SLP kit, as they sell our parts as well as many others.

We are not over priced and our power numbers are not high, we do not make them up. Every package is tested on both the engine dyno and chassis dyno before we go out with numbers.

Hope this answers some questions.

Thanks
Hank
Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

I think I might of started something here that I never intended to.

Look as far as I'm concerned SLP makes fantistic parts. I'm not just saying that because there are so many supporters here they really do. Also I've known that the #'s are crank #'s not to the ground. Their prices are high but as had been said many times they are not overcharging. The math dose add up. The comment I made about them being overpriced was meant as a joke not something that should have been taken seriously and I apologize for the mis-understanding. Mabey I should of put a smilie next to it to get the point across.

I'll say it again. What do all of you think would be a good option to the SLP package? While AFR's are the best, few would argue with that, I don't really need the "best" for my app. I posted this because the SLP package was the only one that I found on a vendor site with a HP # next to it that I knew would get me to my goal of 450+ RWHP.

With that being said...
Thank you to all that have helped me with this question. From the sugestion of the PCR's to the Darts. Thank you.

For those of you that feel the need to bash SLP or question their #'s if it continues I will shut this thread down. Thats not me being the "good guy" to SLP it's not the point of this thread and I don't think it is fair or needed. If you have their package installed on your car with the stated setup and want to chime in fine. If not and you just want to talk **** start your own thread with that title. We all have our oppinions and thats cool but there is no need to go down the road that this could.

Finally...
This is just a shotgun blast aimed at no one in particular. If you get hit mabey you should think about what you want to type before you type it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you need an additional 1200$ for the Fast 90/90... and another 375$ for headers + 120 for Y pipe(if you go with pacesetter coated).. + a catback (lets use SLP Loud mouth for $425)

add that up to get the 525hp at the crank... this brings you to $3,920.. and you dont even have gaskets or shipping or coolant, or plugs, or wires, included in any of this..

oh and forgot pushrods.. too + 115$

so its safe to say this combo will cost around $4500 when all is said and done.. is this right?

oh and you WILL need a new clutch if you are an M6 car.. or a stall for A4.. +450$

oh and I forgot about a tune.. add another 400$ on to that if you cant tune and need someone to do it for you..

then wait a week... and you will need a new rear...$2300..

Last edited by GR33N GoblinM6; 03-27-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
so you need an additional 1200$ for the Fast 90/90... and another 375$ for headers + 120 for Y pipe(if you go with pacesetter coated).. + a catback (lets use SLP Loud mouth for $425)

add that up to get the 525hp at the crank... this brings you to $3,920.. and you dont even have gaskets or shipping or coolant, or plugs, or wires, included in any of this..

oh and forgot pushrods.. too + 115$

so its safe to say this combo will cost around $4500 when all is said and done.. is this right?

oh and you WILL need a new clutch if you are an M6 car.. or a stall for A4.. +450$

oh and I forgot about a tune.. add another 400$ on to that if you cant tune and need someone to do it for you..

then wait a week... and you will need a new rear...$2300..

Read my sig. I aready have the intake, headers etc. I have a new rear, S60, and OZ700 clutch waiting for me when I get back to the USA from Iraq in a few months.

So I figure the only things that I will need for the H/C swap are the gaskets, bolts, pushrods, coolant, RTV, plugs, tune and shipping, even though ByunSpeed dosen't charge it. Oh yeah all the same crap that I will need to buy weather I go with the SLP or someone else. Glad you thought of that stuff I never would have!!!!!

Look if you have something productive to add to the conversation lets hear it. I don't know mabey like another option for the heads. I'm not trying to be a wise *** even though it came out that way and I could of made the statement about the rear and clutch but I was just asking about heads.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Launching!

any vendor could set you up with a 450rwhp package, you just need to worry about the tuner really, those are easy numbers with the right setup