Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got what I consider to be reasonable rates for some Machine work with LS6 rebuild

Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got what I consider to be reasonable rates for some Machine work with LS6 rebuild

I had searched around in past to find rates other's might have been paying for similar things I wanted to do to my LS6 rebuild
ie
Crank polish and mic'd
Finish Hone with stress/deck plate
Cam bearing install

and Hot tanking block due to excess dirt(dealer who pulled this motor left valley cover off)

Went to a local engine builder who builds some of the race motors for the local dirt track and midget race car guys. Guy seemed very knowledgeable, and was honest on what he did and didn't know about LSx motors.

Got following quotes for those who care:
Crank Polish and mic'd $35
Finish Hone cylinders with deck (he called it stress plate) $65
Install cam bearings $35( I supply bearings)
Hot tank block to clean it out-as I'm concerned dirt might have worked into various crevices and nooks ie oil passages. $50

He asked for some of my old bearings as he said he would like to mock up the crank to the block and measure tolerances, which I thought was a nice gesture. Of course I'm pretty new at all of this, I was just thinking that measuring/mic'ing crank I could figure out what size bearings I'd need.

I'll be solvent washing my other parts at my neighbors work as he works at a shop that has a hot solvent tank that I can wash pistons, rods, oil pan and all other parts I'm worried about. Figure I can clean them up and store in these nice thick ziplock bags his work has to keep them clean and labled .

Anyway, not sure what other people are paying, but all of these prices seem fair. I had run across other threads where people were asking similar rates without responses so I thought I'd post these prices up

Shop is in Freeport IL if anyone wants to pm me for info
thx
John

Search this Thread