Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally tore down my POS motor... need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally tore down my POS motor... need advice...

So the hackjob that was once known as my motor was torn down and many gremlins were discovered. We've decided to put the motor back together CORRECTLY and just run it til it goes kaput-then get something crazy.

I have been out of the LS1 loop lately because I have been extremely disgusted with what has gone on with my car. I really don't know what cams are available anymore, what kind of results people have been getting and what would be the best match for my setup.

I was wondering if someone here may point me in the right direction in regards to the cam selection, keeping the following in mind:

1) This is a stock LS1 bottom end. Heads are AFR 205's, believe them to be the biggest chambers (not sure what exact spec that is) so they can be milled to up the compression if needs be. Car is an M6 with 4.10 gears. I have FLP LT's, we are about to gut the cats since problems from existing motor melted the inside of one.

2) This is not my daily driver. This cam can be pretty wild, I don't care, as long as I get power, mainly torque.

3) Would be very happy with a car that will run 11's on Nittos in full street trim.

If someone could help me, I would appreciate it. I just want to be able to drive my car. I knew from day one this thing was FUGGED and I was blown off multiple times. What we found out today just confirms what I was suspecting.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Since its not a daily driver. I vote Trex or MS4. Not sure if it would clear with the heads or not though.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

I would get something in the high 230 or low 240 range.

I just recently installed a custom 236 duration .651 lift cam on a 110lsa. And so far it seams very mild to me. This is not a dd.
It's about to get tuned next week and then off to the track to see what it will do. I plan on dynoing it after this up coming tack event.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Talk to PatrickG about the cam... Get a custom grind that will work with what you've got. That's where you'll really see that torque you want. Moreso than with an off the shelf cam more than likely.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for the AFR cam 228/232@114. Designed for the 205s so you cant go wrong with the matchup.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd like to know what gremlins you found and how you corrected it.

I feel your pain...and good to hear your getting ready for a new motor.

Let us know if you don't mind what you found and how you corrected it.

JB
Old 04-13-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

don't go with a off the shelf cam. like gunit said, talk to Patrick on here Allan at Futral for a custom grind.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much power do you want to make?

I say go with something in the 234/238 range, give or take some, on a 112LSA, flycut the pistons, and mill the heads down as far as you can. Also run a .040 head gasket. A combo like this will make great low end torque as well as a nice flat TQ curve.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the responses!

We found that the custom FTI cam was installed incorrectly after being told multiple times how it had to be installed. The block I bought was supposed to be out of a stock c5 with 13k miles on it... we did however find a handful of broken locks in the oil pan, and they aren't from my heads!!

One of the injectors that we supposedly bought new (and have maybe 1500 miles on them or less) are in bad shape, and look old. I have not seen them and I wouldn't be able to tell if they were old or new or whatever anyway. One of them has been stuck on, which explains why my car has been running pig rich, it even melted the inside of one of my cats. And I'm assuming why the car has misfired since the day I picked it up.

There was oil mixing with gas somewhere, so we are addressing that concern right now. Although they are suspecting the rings are still ok.

At this point we are pretty much just cleaning things up, installing a new cam (whichever we decide on), gutting the cats since the one is toast, getting it tuned and just driving the car until it goes. Then I will go with a totally different setup. Maybe an all bore or something.

I am considering a custom cam from FTI, but I was just wondering what is available that I could get my hands on in a pinch.

Last edited by WS6 TransAm Girl; 04-13-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Not sure if the locks were titanium!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like your having alot of issues with it. The gas in the oil is most likely because it was running so rich. And there is a good chance that the rings are not ok. I wouldn't put it back together without at least new rings. Check the bores and see what kind of shape they are in. If they are still in spec, hone & new rings will put some new life into it.