Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys think about this cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think about this cam?

XFI lobes. 236-242 617-613 110lsa no advance. And yes it fits under stock heads and gaskets. It was just installed and tuned over the past 2 weeks and feels fast. I was after low end torque and mid range pull but it also rips up top too. The tuner did an excellent job on it and it has no cam surge at idle and fires off on cold starts with or without the AC. Talk to me folks. I want to learn more about it and why it does what it does. It was spec'd for me by my installer. TIA.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WOTFMAN
XFI lobes. 236-242 617-613 110lsa no advance. And yes it fits under stock heads and gaskets. It was just installed and tuned over the past 2 weeks and feels fast. I was after low end torque and mid range pull but it also rips up top too. The tuner did an excellent job on it and it has no cam surge at idle and fires off on cold starts with or without the AC. Talk to me folks. I want to learn more about it and why it does what it does. It was spec'd for me by my installer. TIA.

I forget to add, this is going through Pacesetter LTs, TSP Catted Y-pipe, into Corsa Catback. No cutout, Closed exhaust. 2.73 rear end as well. I dont have a dyno number yet since it was tuned on the street with a Motec wideband with Chris Marsh handling the HPTuning software.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Holy cow did I read that right 273 gears Does it pull ok at low rpms? I couldn't imagine having those gears with that much cam.
Can't wait to here the numbers on this thing, what company makes this cam, its sounds like its working out for ya real well?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d james
Holy cow did I read that right 273 gears Does it pull ok at low rpms? I couldn't imagine having those gears with that much cam.
Can't wait to here the numbers on this thing, what company makes this cam, its sounds like its working out for ya real well?
It works well actually...I need a little bit of gear so I can cruise in o/d. With the gears in the car it bucks a tiny bit. Im looking for a 3.42 take out rear end to put in the car.

7.8's @ 89 aint really all that bad of an 1/8 mile for full showroom weight plus the extra parts like a stock stall and then the valvetrain stuff in the T-top well. its a strong pull from the moment you mash the gas til you let off. It rips at low rpms to answer your question.

Its a custom grind my mechanic spec'd out for the car and my future goals with it.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Stock stall, this thing must pull hard against your brakes. Idl should be 900/950 at best.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

2:73 and stock stall? Damn
Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Stock stall, this thing must pull hard against your brakes. Idl should be 900/950 at best.
Sorry, guys it has a TCI3500. Still too tight for this thing but still drives very well. And no it idles at 800-850
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well it drives nice because the XFI is fast of the seat, it makes good power because of 19* overlap, it is like a MS3 110, but on XFI lobes.

However you said it fits on stock heads and gasket, I hate to brake the news to you that it barely fits and is in the danger zone of kissing your pistons anytime.
That cam must have less than .060/.075 (int/exht) clearance on it.
On the street IMO that is suicide margins on a hydraulic.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

Well it drives nice because the XFI is fast of the seat, it makes good power because of 19* overlap, it is like a MS3 110, but on XFI lobes.

However you said it fits on stock heads and gasket, I hate to brake the news to you that it barely fits and is in the danger zone of kissing your pistons anytime.
That cam must have less than .060/.075 (int/exht) clearance on it.
On the street IMO that is suicide margins on a hydraulic.
Well to you its suicide...to the guy that spec'd it, well thats why it runs good

I talked to him last night about it. All his NASCAR motors, Pro Stock Crasftsman truck etc are tight P to V.

To be exact we are looking at .069 on the intake and .082 on the exhaust.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I was close.
I am not arguing the power factor. On a hydraulic valvetrain these are unsafe margins for the street. Do not be surprised if one day you remove the heads to find eyebrows on your pistons.

Anyways judging by the fact you're aware of it, you must be ready to take the consequences. It is nicely spec'd, but i'm a bit more cautious of PTV clearances for street applications.
Of course if you have a money tree in the backyard
Old 06-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

Well, I was close.
I am not arguing the power factor. On a hydraulic valvetrain these are unsafe margins for the street. Do not be surprised if one day you remove the heads to find eyebrows on your pistons.

Anyways judging by the fact you're aware of it, you must be ready to take the consequences. It is nicely spec'd, but i'm a bit more cautious of PTV clearances for street applications.
Of course if you have a money tree in the backyard
I don't understand your purposes here. If the cam even slightly touches the piston...it runs GOOD. Whats it really matter if it has .120 or .069 of clearance on the intake side....? If a spring breaks its gonna hit no matter what. haha

My purpose was to get the car to do what I wanted it to do...have driveability, and run hard. It does both and makes gobs of torque down low....not only that but it also pulls hard on the highway in 3rd gear. I wanted the best of both worlds and I got it. Those little eyebrows will just be slight marks in the carbon on the pistons... Its keeping them clean for me. I went to this engine builder/installer because there stuff runs hard and they are always winning divisional races in NHRA. Thanks for your concern but I knew what I was getting into in the beginning. I sit back and giggle because you tell me something is too tight for the street. LOL Its what seperates the faster cars from the pack in racing. Its nothing special right now with this tight stall and steep gear but it will roll 10's when the other stuff go together and the heads are done by next spring. All at full weight while still driving it daily...A true daily. Not a weekend warrior gutted out ***** of a car. Id also suppose youd say NGK 7's or Autolite 103's are too cold for NA right?

Keep the shiny side up my peoples. Its been fun.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

somebody's questioning Predators authority?!? and with only 8 posts under their belt
Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Well to you its suicide...to the guy that spec'd it, well thats why it runs good

I talked to him last night about it. All his NASCAR motors, Pro Stock Crasftsman truck etc are tight P to V.

To be exact we are looking at .069 on the intake and .082 on the exhaust.
How many of those NASCAR and Pro Stock motors are running on the street? Predator was just giving you some friendly (knowledgeable) advice. When your valves kiss the pistons and the motor goes boom - no one here will really give a damn. You seem to know it all anyways.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ask your installer.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

you need gears bad... i went from 3.42 LT1 to a 2.73LS1 abd i know that the LT1 w/3.42s would give it a run for its money..
Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't understand your purposes here. If the cam even slightly touches the piston...it runs GOOD. Whats it really matter if it has .120 or .069 of clearance on the intake side....? If a spring breaks its gonna hit no matter what. haha

My purpose was to get the car to do what I wanted it to do...have driveability, and run hard. It does both and makes gobs of torque down low....not only that but it also pulls hard on the highway in 3rd gear. I wanted the best of both worlds and I got it. Those little eyebrows will just be slight marks in the carbon on the pistons... Its keeping them clean for me. I went to this engine builder/installer because there stuff runs hard and they are always winning divisional races in NHRA. Thanks for your concern but I knew what I was getting into in the beginning. I sit back and giggle because you tell me something is too tight for the street. LOL Its what seperates the faster cars from the pack in racing. Its nothing special right now with this tight stall and steep gear but it will roll 10's when the other stuff go together and the heads are done by next spring. All at full weight while still driving it daily...A true daily. Not a weekend warrior gutted out ***** of a car. Id also suppose youd say NGK 7's or Autolite 103's are too cold for NA right?

Keep the shiny side up my peoples. Its been fun.
I'll give a Lehman exemple of the effect of contact valves on pistons.
Take your head and slowly tap it against the wall in a rythmic fashion.
Now do it at 6800/ minute and tel me how it feels.

Enjoy your setup,
Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

I'll give a Lehman exemple of the effect of contact valves on pistons.
Take your head and slowly tap it against the wall in a rythmic fashion.
Now do it at 6800/ minute and tel me how it feels.

Enjoy your setup,
Please forgive my knowledge. B/C I have a low post count and all must mean im retarded. Yet, the shop that's been speccing stuff for my installer has years of record breaking motors on their walls. Please carry on folks. I know its on the edge. If your not first your last, isnt that right? So sure if you wanted to leave power on the table, you could certainly go for much more P to V clearance. Deal here is with a good spring and valvetrain stability, we won't have those issues. Valve control is very important when making power. Thanks for the rookie comments in here from the others. You guys took the bait perfectly. Making power on edge is what the winners do.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

How many LS1 motors has this guy built? The LS series motor is a whole different ballgame. And, why ask a question when it's not the advice you wanna hear, especially from a member whos car RUNS? I never understood that about people.

When your car is ready and if it holds up, make sure to post up your 1/4 time to silence the critics.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

It will hold, for how long is another matter. I'm sure Wotfman will post in the furure and let us know if any damage occurs at any point
Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please forgive my knowledge. B/C I have a low post count and all must mean im retarded.
no, you just come off as a total dick with no respect for anyone. Predator-Z really knows his stuff when it comes to the valvetrain. For you to get so worked up over this is kind of amusing.
-Chris