Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone please tell me my car will get faster after a tune/oil pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

Default Someone please tell me my car will get faster after a tune/oil pressure issues

I just installed a set of CNC ported 241's, TR224 cam, Hooker LT's and True duals. I drove it around a bit tonight and hopefully this is due to it being untuned, but it actually feels SLOWER than before. It sounds great, but it's not pulling nearly as hard as I would have expected it to. Someone make me feel better about this, please.

Also - I changed out my mobil 1 oil for some cheap parts store 10w30 to run for 100 miles and flush the engine and now my oil pressure sucks. I put on a ported LS6 pump so I was thinking my oil pressure would be a lot better than before. Before when it was hot, it was at a minimum of 35 PSI hot at idle. Now it hovers about a millimeter above the red mark (like 10 PSI) at idle and on startup, the gauge doesn't even move for a second until I blip the throttle. I didn't screw up the pickup tube O-ring, I am positive of that, so why is it so low? Is it because the pump flows better so there's less restriction? That would make the pressure lower, obviously. What about the oil? Is it just the cheap oil that's screwing things up? I don't want to screw my engine up, I can't afford to replace it.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pressure got undoubtedly better. How was the pressure on initial post heads/cam startup? Did it shoot up past 40 after a few seconds? Or did it just putz to the 10psi mark? My car is cam only untuned and I can definitely feel a difference already... I have a melling pump FWIW. I had cheap **** 5w-30 in there, and just changed today to 0w-30... besides the piston slap being even louder now (thanks GM), the pressure is the same. Tune definitely helps... can't comment on how cam AND heads reacts to stock tune, but my cam feels good (certainly SOUNDS louder than sin now). Good luck.

-J
Old 06-13-2007, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Now the oil pressure has gotten better - it's not so low. Sits right around the first notch at idle and by 1500 RPM cruising, it's slightly under 40 PSI.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Anybody else have experience driving their car untuned after heads/cam/lts?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't really want to drive it too hard before a tune. Your AFR can be seriously off (lean) with those mods. That will cause it to feel underpowered. Timing will need to be adjusted in certain spots as well, which will affect power output.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Torquer V.2 cam and 5.3l stage 2.5 Heads from TSP along with Pacesetter longtubes and off-road y-pipe. My oil pressure was doing the same thing. I did not replace the pickup o-ring when I installed the LS6 pump. Had to get a new o-ring and replace it. My oil pressure is much better now. 58-60 psi at cold idle and 38-40 at warm idle. 50-55 while cruising. I know its a pain but you probably need to recheck the o-ring. I was sure I did not damage the stock o-ring, but I did find a nick in it. Good Luck.

Other than that it drives really good without a tune. I did replace the O2 sensors this week and it seems to have be a lot better.