Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove cam retaining plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove cam retaining plate

I'm changing cams and the last hex bolt for the plate won't come loose. It feels like the guy that put the original motor together used Loctite because the other bolts were an bear to break loose.

Now my big problem is the inside of the hex bolt rounded out. I tried to get vice grips on the outside but because it is recessed, I can't get a god grip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

that is different. My engine had normal bolts holding the cam plate on.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Yea, the guy obviously used the wrong bolts.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aftermarket bolt, it doesn't sound like arp's either, so my suggestion is you better get a good extractor set
Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

You could try "cutting some teeth " on the outside of the bolt with a chissel and use a "GATORGRIP SOCKET " which has needles inside the socket to conform to rounded off/ rusted bolts and such. The "teeth" you make with the chissel are to help the gatorgrip socket hold onto the bolt head, just be patient when making the teeth and don't wail on the chissel, you just need to make the outside of the bolt head a little rough for the socket to work. This should work for you, just take your time and buy the right bolts when you start to put your engine back together. Good luck !
Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of guys seem to use red Loctite like its butter, not sure why. Try putting some heat on it, you may need to replace the retainer plate after but its relatively cheap. You don't want to be attempting to drill out this bolt.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

It may also help to tighten the other 2 back down so there is a little less pressure on the rounded one. Might not do alot but every bit helps.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
A lot of guys seem to use red Loctite like its butter, not sure why. Try putting some heat on it, you may need to replace the retainer plate after but its relatively cheap. You don't want to be attempting to drill out this bolt.
Because on many of the bolts it actually calls for it, including the cam retainer plate. At least ls1howto says so

-J
Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would invest in a set of bolt extractors, they look like a drill bit on the inside, they work great.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Great suggestions - thanks everyone!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Because on many of the bolts it actually calls for it, including the cam retainer plate. At least ls1howto says so

-J
Just an FYI, I have the GM manual and it does not call for Loctite. It will expressely say so if it does. Torque to 18 ft/lbs.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand corrected then. I used the howto guide and it called for it so I did. I've used loctite on tons of other bolts before and they had no problem coming out, weird Good luck getting it out let us know what does the trick.

-J
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i didnt loctite mine only becuse i didnt have any laying around otherwise i woulda, just the thought of the head of one of thoes bolts comeing out and hitting one of the holes on the cam sprocket gives me chills
Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean when you say the "inside of the hex bolt is rounded out"? How does the inside of a hex bolt get rounded out and why does it matter if it does? You should contact the "guy who put the original motor together" and ask him what he used. If you use locktite you should try blue not red in these low torque applications. You may have to use a quick hard snapping motion with a breaker bar and a 6pt socket to fracture the locktite as is done on the rocker bolts which are held in place by locktite from the factory. Once the locktite on the rocker bolts is fractured you can unscrew the rocker bolts with your fingers. You should be able to do the same thing with the cam plate bolts as well since they have a similar low torque value.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Just an FYI, I have the GM manual and it does not call for Loctite. It will expressely say so if it does. Torque to 18 ft/lbs.[/QUOTE]
Word, I didn't use any either. The general didn't call for any, so I left it out. I guess it couldn't hurt though. I didn't notice loctite on any of the factory bolts I removed.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
What do you mean when you say the "inside of the hex bolt is rounded out"? How does the inside of a hex bolt get rounded out and why does it matter if it does? You should contact the "guy who put the original motor together" and ask him what he used. If you use locktite you should try blue not red in these low torque applications. You may have to use a quick hard snapping motion with a breaker bar and a 6pt socket to fracture the locktite as is done on the rocker bolts which are held in place by locktite from the factory. Once the locktite on the rocker bolts is fractured you can unscrew the rocker bolts with your fingers. You should be able to do the same thing with the cam plate bolts as well since they have a similar low torque value.
UMMM, the inside of bolt is rounded out because someone installed allen head bolts on the retaining plate and used loctite on them. Thats why it matters to him... the head of the allen head bolt is stripped out.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zitty'sZ
UMMM, the inside of bolt is rounded out because someone installed allen head bolts on the retaining plate and used loctite on them. Thats why it matters to him... the head of the allen head bolt is stripped out.
Exactly - thanks. I'll be messing with it this weekend and let you know what does it. A lot of great suggestions here so something should work.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Teching In

For anyone who is interrested, I got a kit that consists of sockets that fit over the head of a rounded off bolt. THey have machined in "blades" that are similar to rifling in a gun barrel. They fit snug on the bolt (lightly tapped with a hammer) then put a ratchet on it and loosen. It digs in as you loosen. It came right out effortlessly. Best $20 I ever spend. Also purchased the correct bolts from the dealer.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Congratulations, I'm glad you got it out. Use a drop or two of blue loctite, torque them to 18 ft pounds and call it a day!!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear you got this done, hope the rest goes well. Any more info on the kit you bought like part number of something? Sounds like something worthwhile to have in the tool kit

Quick Reply: Can't remove cam retaining plate