Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump taking a crap???? shaky needle help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump taking a crap???? shaky needle help!!!

i changed my oil the other day putting in the same mobil 1 10w-40 that was in it all summer allong with a new filter. now when my 99 T/A is at a low idle the needle wont hold still and will be slightly shaky. as soon as i accelerate it smoothens out and gets more than plenty of pressure. is my oil pump taking a crap??? or any ideas??/?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

up .... no ideas???
Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be an electrical problem. if the ground wire for the circuit is corroded or gunked up it could be causing the shaky needle and low idle pressure reading. when you accelerate the rising engine rpms give the alternator a nice kick in *** and get the circuit the power it needs regardless.

it could also be your sender going bad, less likely but still possible is a loose connection somewhere. usually tho, the oil pumps **** the bed all at once, they don't really "wind down" to failure.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

When my oil pump failed it was running fine, shut it off for approx 5hrs. when I started it up NO OIL PRESSURE. When I took the old oil pump apart the pressure relief valve was stuck open. I had to brake it loose with a large screwdriver then it would travel like it should. So my oil pump just failed without warning or any sort of sign. It had always held great pressure. I would look at the sending unit for your jumping guage. Good luck...
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by madclown
When my oil pump failed it was running fine, shut it off for approx 5hrs. when I started it up NO OIL PRESSURE. When I took the old oil pump apart the pressure relief valve was stuck open. I had to brake it loose with a large screwdriver then it would travel like it should. So my oil pump just failed without warning or any sort of sign. It had always held great pressure. I would look at the sending unit for your jumping guage. Good luck...
Same with me ran it, then shut the car off. Then I started it back up and had no oil pressure