Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Game: Guess that Stuff in my oil pan!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Game: Guess that Stuff in my oil pan!

hey folks,

dropped my oil pan today (the ENTIRE oil pan) bec i'm paranoid and i THINK i was about 6 psi low on my oil pressure at idle (29-32psi at idle, 62psi max at WOT). I also have a vibration in the driveline/engine (unsure!) at specific RPMs. here is what i found. It is plastic, and it looks like it was once a ring or some type of snap collar, dunno!

any help would be pretty freakin helpful at this point. I thought it was possibly a spun bearing, but i pulled off a few rod caps and so far so good...thanks for the help!

- Jeff

Old 10-04-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

No pic
Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Teching In

hmm, they seem to work fine for me and from other machines...anyone else having trouble seeing the pictures?

Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-04-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

nope.... awesome pics... the only rubber thing that would be aboiut that size that I can think of would be a valve seal.under the rocker arms..... and it would be pretty easy to check i would think.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

For some reason it looks like something i have seen before, but i can't seem to make out what it is. Hopefully its nothing serious, TTT for you.
-Joel
Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
nope.... awesome pics... the only rubber thing that would be aboiut that size that I can think of would be a valve seal.under the rocker arms..... and it would be pretty easy to check i would think.
To be clear, it is more of a plastic piece than rubber. But it is very soft plastic (ie it can be squished a bit)

yeah, after i took those pics i thought to myself..."Hey, maybe this happened when my valvespring snapped in two pieces. Fortunately, it never kissed the piston, so i just swapped in new springs.

What has me concerned is that i found this in the UPPER part of the oil pan. If it was a valve seal, i would have thought that would have gone right into the cylinder and then out the exhaust. could that still end up in my oil pan, however?

I was too tired last night after posting up the pics and tearing down the car so I will look at the engine some more tonight...any ideas on where else to look for this "missing piece"?

ALSO, there are some VERY thin pieces of plastic in the oil pan. I'm assuming these are what is left over after the rest of this plastic ring was smashed between two pieces of metal (lifters, cam, whatever). I don't see any scoring on any cam lobes, and i'm pretty certain that this stuff wouldn't be small enough to get into the cam bearings/rod bearings. i'll get some pics of that stuff tonight.

Thanks!!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

About the only thing I can think of that's plastic in the motor is the lifter retainer cups.

It then makes sense that you'd find that on upper part of the oil pan since it would fall through the center of the block.

I guess it's time to pull the heads and check on the lifters.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

could it be a piece of something used during the assembly of the engine?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What else is plastic inside the engine??? Other than the lifter trays, I'm drawing a blank.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
Originally Posted by The Alchemist
About the only thing I can think of that's plastic in the motor is the lifter retainer cups.

It then makes sense that you'd find that on upper part of the oil pan since it would fall through the center of the block.

I guess it's time to pull the heads and check on the lifters.
i'm waaaay ahead of ya on pulling the heads

Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nesikachad
could it be a piece of something used during the assembly of the engine?
i would HOPE that GM wouldn't use anything during the assembly that would come off in the engine and be able to run around inside the engine. Remember it was hanging out in the top of the oil pan - where it could find its way into a million different places that it didn't belong - very odd!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
What else is plastic inside the engine??? Other than the lifter trays, I'm drawing a blank.
Yeah, i know what you mean - i am still thinking valve/lifter related, i just haven't had time to realllly inspect those two areas yet. I just found it last night at 2am. I don't want you to go crazy thinking about it - i just hoped someone would say YEP, that's "X". lol (wishful thinking).

Possible answer: Anyone have any pics of a NEW/good oil level sensor to compare? I wonder if this piece used to be part of that?

Thanks!

Last edited by yellohvette; 10-04-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about those Dog bone restrictors for the Oil system ? the Oil Level sensor ? I have the sensor at home, will look later when I get home.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

My vote is a valve seal, especially since you broke a spring, that could easily have cut it so you wouldn't be able to see it, then after running it fell off and made it's way to the pan. There are oil return holes from the heads down to the pan.
There is no way in hell it would ever end up going out the exhaust, if something could make it from the top of the head to out the exhaust what do you think would happen to all your oil?
It's either a valve seal, or a squashed up ring off an oil bottle.

Originally Posted by yellohvette
To be clear, it is more of a plastic piece than rubber. But it is very soft plastic (ie it can be squished a bit)

yeah, after i took those pics i thought to myself..."Hey, maybe this happened when my valvespring snapped in two pieces. i just swapped in new springs.

What has me concerned is that i found this in the UPPER part of the oil pan. If it was a valve seal, i would have thought that would have gone right into the cylinder and then out the exhaust. could that still end up in my oil pan, however?

any ideas on where else to look for this "missing piece"?

ALSO, there are some VERY thin pieces of plastic in the oil pan. I'm assuming these are what is left over after the rest of this plastic ring was smashed between two pieces of metal (lifters, cam, whatever). I don't see any scoring on any cam lobes, and i'm pretty certain that this stuff wouldn't be small enough to get into the cam bearings/rod bearings.
Thanks!!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

Google image search results for LS1 valve stem seal. One pic.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Teching In

^^^ i think you (and two others) nailed it! that looks very very similar and it WAS the intake valve spring that let go. that has to be it. To answer your earlier post, i don't know what i was thinking - def wouldn't fall INTO the cylinder and out the exhaust

Thanks for the help - can't wait to go home and rip apart the assembled head...

I wonder if this seal going to **** would cause the car to have a shudder/vibrate/etc at higher RPMs...kind of a rhetorical question?

Last edited by yellohvette; 10-04-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Teching In

welp, all my valve seals checked out just fine! very odd. I'm still pretty sure it looks JUST like a valve seal, however. I wonder if this isn't the results of something from the previous owner. Would it be possible for that little plastic piece to hang out in the engine for 15,000 miles?! I would think it would have made it's way out during at least ONE oil change...hmmmm

BCZee - did you get a chance to look at your oil level sensor?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by yellohvette
welp, all my valve seals checked out just fine! very odd. I'm still pretty sure it looks JUST like a valve seal, however. I wonder if this isn't the results of something from the previous owner. Would it be possible for that little plastic piece to hang out in the engine for 15,000 miles?! I would think it would have made it's way out during at least ONE oil change...hmmmm

BCZee - did you get a chance to look at your oil level sensor?

Thanks!

It could easily of hung out in the pan, its too big to get sucked in the oil pick-up past the screen. If its rubbery it will be boyant in oil, so I don't see how it would have harmed anything per say. Agreed its not the best idea to leave a foriegn object in an engine, but if you can squish it with your fingers I don't see it hurting anything.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I also had an idea that it could be a piece of the grommets that are around the valve cover bolts. I know that those things can fall apart after time especially if you remove the valve covers several times. They are about the size of what is in the pics.