Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect on a 2000 86k LS1???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to expect on a 2000 86k LS1???

Hi guys I’m in need of a little insight.

Ok so I'm just trying to look over this engine, for my RX-7, before I try to start it up to make sure it works. I picked up a 2000 LS1 from a Formula that had 86K on the odometer. I want to start it before my 30day warranty expires but, I want to make sure that I prevent things from tearing themselves up on start-up.

I took off the valve covers and noticed that there is some build up on the drivers side head and I can scratch it off in flakes. The other side is very clean.
Both undersides of the valve cover have a nice build-up of gunk on them.
Should I try to remove most of the gunk and get a good filter?

I removed the spark plugs to replace them and found some idiot had different plugs on 2. I noticed on the driverside rear most spark plug was covered in oil. Just the threads, the tip and electrode were dry. All the other plugs were completely dry. The passenger side rear most plug has green corrosion which I'm guessing is form it sitting for awhile. All the other plugs look ok to me but, I'm not an expert. Should I be worried about the oil the plug? The outside is very clean so I’m just wondering what caused it.

I can turn the motor over real easy by hand and all the valvetrain parts move smoothly and it spins the tranny just fine too.

Also the intake smells strongly of oil and not really the oily/gas smell it should. The intake has some build-up and on the back of the throttle body too is some build-up. I plan on cleaning the throttlebody at lest but should I take off the intake and clean it out too? Is there any cleaner I can spray the throttle body down with, or is carb cleaner fine? What about the injectors should I try to clean them with something?

Is there anything I should consider doing before I try and start this thing? I have 20 day left so I can take a little time to make sure I clean it up right and get a good first start.

One more thing I'm looking for is a complete wiring and plug guide for the engine. I found one before but I can't seem to find it a second time.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks, JR

Last edited by NightKid#2; 12-11-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont worry about the plugs, Change them for some champion copper plus. I would not worry about the build up in the valve area its probably typical with that mileage just clean it out and change the oil. 2000 Fbody came with an LS1 intake, change it out for an LS6 Intake. You can clean that throttle body with some brake cleaner.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not trying to make you nervous or anything, but my engine was way cleaner than that under the valve covers when my motor took a **** at 90k miles. If you do use this motor without a rebuild, i would keep it stock, or make sure not to spin past 6500 rpm.
Every person i know with a 2000 model car blew up an engine before 100k, I'm almost positive it was driver related. I know of 4 motors that went, all 2000's. These were cammed cars that were spun to 6500+ rpm rather often. All engine spun bearings...
Just don't be stupid with it...
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well thats no way to make me feel better .
I was planning on putting a real aggressive cam in it
and running the crap out of it too, because I drive like that.
I guess It's a good thing I can pull the whole motor in about
45 mins.

Oh well pay to play an all that.
Guess all just cross my fingers.

JR
Old 11-09-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the engine was neglected in the discoloration of the heads. Mine is a 1998 with 113K and it is very clean compared to this engine. Looks as if the oil was never changed and engine could be hit or miss. Mine is cammed and it shifts at 6500 rpm's at WOT and I have no issues. A lot problems could be prevented with simple maintenance. I am sure the coolant was neglected as well as weakening the head gaskets.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

I agree that the engine might be hit or miss but, really all juckyard engines are.
I guess I'm just going to clean It all up put some clean oil in it.
My friend found his compression tester so if that checks out ok
and the oil pressure is good all feel pretty good about the whole thing.
And if not all just go get my money back .