Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fel Pro 1041 gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fel Pro 1041 gaskets?

How good are they? (Engine will be 11:1 CR)Summit has them in stock so I can have a pair waiting on the bench if my P to V will tolerate the .041" gaskets. If not I'll install the GM MLS gaskets and return the unopened Fel Pros.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the FelPro stock replacements which I believe are the same part number you listed above. My compression is same as yours & they are doin great. I gave them a nice coat of copper spray before installing them. Car sees 300+ miles a week daily driving & romping on it all the time.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They suck. I followed all the steps and they seeped. Replaced with cometics.

I didnt coat them, you shouldnt have to. They seeped through the gasket material at high revs on the dyno. I have them still, they looked perfect when I pulled the heads there was no visible reason for them to leak. Pay for shipping and you can have them.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 109 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Felpro

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
They suck. I followed all the steps and they seeped. Replaced with cometics.

I didnt coat them, you shouldnt have to. They seeped through the gasket material at high revs on the dyno. I have them still, they looked perfect when I pulled the heads there was no visible reason for them to leak. Pay for shipping and you can have them.
I have seen the same gaskets seal 770 FWHP for 2 seasons!!!

Install error. Usually this is always the reason.

I wouldn't be afraid to run them. Many people on this site have them with great success.

There is always someone who has a problem, could have been a 1/2 dozen different reasons why - but it is always the gaskets fault.

Do a search.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by helicoil

I wouldn't be afraid to run them. Many people on this site have them with great success.

There is always someone who has a problem, could have been a 1/2 dozen different reasons why - but it is always the gaskets fault.

Do a search.
I actually read your entire build thread from start to finish. Very impressive.

I was thinking about using the 1041s, but everyone I've talked to has cautioned me that even if my P to V clears, they would raise my CR past the pump gas limit.

I re-cc'd my heads tonight and I've narrowed it down from 60-62cc's to right at 61cc. With a stock LS1 bottom end and a .054" gasket that should be close to 11:1 10.7:1-11:1 depending on which calculator I use) The Felpro 1041 will bump me up 4 tenths of a point in CR.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
9 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ssheets
I actually read your entire build thread from start to finish. Very impressive.

I was thinking about using the 1041s, but everyone I've talked to has cautioned me that even if my P to V clears, they would raise my CR past the pump gas limit.

I re-cc'd my heads tonight and I've narrowed it down from 60-62cc's to right at 61cc. With a stock LS1 bottom end and a .054" gasket that should be close to 11:1 10.7:1-11:1 depending on which calculator I use) The Felpro 1041 will bump me up 4 tenths of a point in CR.
Thanks, I posted my work to hopefully give others insight as this site did for me. I was NEW to the F-Body crowd, but not new to engine building. I worked as an engine machinist for several years and still build about 20 or so engines a year, mostly performance oriented.

You are close on the numbers. I have a 62 cc head and a stock shortblock also. The comp ratio with a .040" Cometic is 11.23. The stock LS1 shortblock I had placed the piston .008" out of the hole. In most compression calculators that is a Negative number for deck clearance. -.008"

A .054" would be 10.79 with my numbers.

The 1041 would work fine IMO. Just do not spray anything on them, a big no-no.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I posted my work to hopefully give others insight as this site did for me. I was NEW to the F-Body crowd, but not new to engine building. I worked as an engine machinist for several years and still build about 20 or so engines a year, mostly performance oriented.

You are close on the numbers. I have a 62 cc head and a stock shortblock also. The comp ratio with a .040" Cometic is 11.23. The stock LS1 shortblock I had placed the piston .008" out of the hole. In most compression calculators that is a Negative number for deck clearance. -.008"

A .054" would be 10.79 with my numbers.

The 1041 would work fine IMO. Just do not spray anything on them, a big no-no.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'm looking at a set of underdrive pulleys and 8 new TR6IX plugs...I think I have just about everything else.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:50 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search.
Hey asscake. I've installed 3 sets of heads on this car and the felpros are the only ones that have leaked. They seemed to be seeping through the material itself. My tuner who sees a hell of a lot more cars than I do has 7 customers now with the same issue on felpro's.
I guess your the only expert in the country and are the only one qualified to install a felpro.
Give me a ******* break assbag. I've used all different kinds of gaskets in my life and have never ever had one leak before. Installer error? I dont ******* think so *******. A very close inspection proved an absolutely perfect surface. ARP heads studs and re-toqued is common practice and was performed. The gasket sucks. Give me your address I'll mail them to you and you, being the expert, can inspect and pressure test them and see what you find out. They didnt leak under normal driving conditions, only on the dyno under extreme conditions.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Hey asscake. I've installed 3 sets of heads on this car and the felpros are the only ones that have leaked. They seemed to be seeping through the material itself. My tuner who sees a hell of a lot more cars than I do has 7 customers now with the same issue on felpro's.
I guess your the only expert in the country and are the only one qualified to install a felpro.
Give me a ******* break assbag. I've used all different kinds of gaskets in my life and have never ever had one leak before. Installer error? I dont ******* think so *******. A very close inspection proved an absolutely perfect surface. ARP heads studs and re-toqued is common practice and was performed. The gasket sucks. Give me your address I'll mail them to you and you, being the expert, can inspect and pressure test them and see what you find out. They didnt leak under normal driving conditions, only on the dyno under extreme conditions.
Asscake, that's funny! I can tell you are a real professional. I have no doubt you know what you are doing.

And BTW, I sent you a PM. You can gladly send your gaskets to me and I will feedback to you and the forum and your tuner what the problem was. It just so happens I happen to be employed by Felpro.

No need for the name calling.

Quick Reply: Fel Pro 1041 gaskets?