LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   Would I want a longer duration on a stock cubed H/C motor? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/83021-would-i-want-longer-duration-stock-cubed-h-c-motor.html)

UnbelievabLS1 06-27-2003 02:15 PM

Re: Would I want a longer duration on a stock cubed H/C motor?

from what i've been told by Mark over at comp when i ordered mine, the reason we dont see much bigger splits than what we do is because of the intake to exhaust flow ratio. we have great heads on our motors and we dont need a whole monster of a cam to take advantage of them. stock heads for example flow (roughly) in the 230's on the intake and 200's on the ex. that puts the intake at about 86% of the exhaust. you really dont need to split the cam any more than 86% I/E wise to keep more of a flow balance in the motor. now take a look at some of our ported heads that make it closer to 92% i/e flow ratio, and you start to see why more and more single patterns as well as reverse splits are being used to keep tq numbers up there. you dont need nearly as much exhaust flow as you do intake because of lesser volume of the spent gasses. make sense?

this is why our cam patterns are so signifigantly diffrent than the LT1, SBC and other conventional small blocks. this same ideology applies to other 15* and 18* cyllinder heads too. hope that makes sense. i think i got lost in there somewhere too. :D

Thanks Vince, that's exactly the type of explanation I was looking for. :cool:

JF WS6 06-27-2003 02:18 PM

See, I also agree with this point. So far, I haven't seen any bigger than a 6 degree split in either direction though.

G5X-2 232/240 8* split. It's doing quite well on the LS1.....

Vents 06-27-2003 03:27 PM

ok im gonna vent here a bit be wanred..

G5X-2 232/240 8* split. It's doing quite well on the LS1.....

[soapbox]

yeah? whooptie doo. you think it runs that way because it's on an 8* split? i really wouldnt have as big a beef with this g5x2 hype if it werent for the BS "give me money" marketing tactics behind it. that cam was designed to make the most out of a set of heads.

BTW, mine's a 6* split and it's doing alright too. but it's not because of that.
[/soapbox]

ok, now that aside, i really dont want to turn this thread into a LG bash-fest so im going to stop there. just remember a cam is only one part of the bigger picture. just because a "cam only" car runs a good number, remember, there's always a reason why. i love telling people all i have is a hotcam and headers after a race. does that make me the fastest "cam and headers" car in the nation? ;D just a thought.

JF WS6 06-27-2003 05:00 PM

yeah? whooptie doo. you think it runs that way because it's on an 8* split? i really wouldnt have as big a beef with this g5x2 hype if it werent for the BS "give me money" marketing tactics behind it. that cam was designed to make the most out of a set of heads.

BTW, mine's a 6* split and it's doing alright too. but it's not because of that.

ok, now that aside, i really dont want to turn this thread into a LG bash-fest so im going to stop there. just remember a cam is only one part of the bigger picture. just because a "cam only" car runs a good number, remember, there's always a reason why. i love telling people all i have is a hotcam and headers after a race. does that make me the fastest "cam and headers" car in the nation? ;D just a thought.

Uh dude, you just came WAY out of left field there...... :huh: I was merely trying to point out to UnbelievableLS1 that there are cams out there that have been used successfully that have a larger duration split than 6*. I'm not backing LG in any way, I was just using it as an example and the numbers seem to show that it is making good power. But rather than making this about the G5X cam, how about another example: LS1 Grand-Am Cup, 239/251 which happens to have a 12* split and is capable of 470RWHP (as I stated previously) with a stock bottom end and LPE CNC LS6 heads....

I'm completely aware that the cam isn't everything, all my post was about was that there are larger splits that work for a given application. Sounds to me like you got some issues with LG :p but despite that you can't deny that cam isn't making power and not just with LS6 heads either.....

Vents 06-27-2003 05:14 PM

yeah i do :D

i think it's the heat here in TX. hehe.. i gave fair warning there too, just needed that out of my system.. yeah, i have a serious problem with the marketing sceme there. outrageously overpriced gimmicks are one of my pet peeves.

JF WS6 06-27-2003 08:43 PM

yeah i do :D

i think it's the heat here in TX. hehe.. i gave fair warning there too, just needed that out of my system.. yeah, i have a serious problem with the marketing sceme there. outrageously overpriced gimmicks are one of my pet peeves.

I'd definately have to agree with you there ;).... but I think you can get the cam by itself for around what most cost, not to mention since it is pretty much a straight out of the book Comp XER cam it will be hard to keep it exclusive and jack up the price on it.

H82BBad 06-27-2003 10:22 PM

I have a used 228/228 .588 cam here if you want to buy it at a good price Brian

99Z28Guy 06-27-2003 10:28 PM

I wanted to go with a 230/224 .575/.563 111LSA, but I was told that I would have P-to-V issues with stage 2 5.3L heads. I just don't understand, especially if I'm not having the heads milled.

Had to settle on a 228/224 112LSA

99Z28Guy 06-27-2003 10:29 PM

I wanted to go with a 230/224 .575/.563 111LSA, but I was told that I would have P-to-V issues with stage 2 5.3L heads. I just don't understand, especially if I'm not having the heads milled. I was also told the cam would have to be revved super high to make power?

UnbelievabLS1 06-27-2003 11:11 PM

I have a used 228/228 .588 cam here if you want to buy it at a good price Brian

You have mail Brent. ;)

JF WS6 06-28-2003 09:59 AM

I wanted to go with a 230/224 .575/.563 111LSA, but I was told that I would have P-to-V issues with stage 2 5.3L heads. I just don't understand, especially if I'm not having the heads milled. I was also told the cam would have to be revved super high to make power?

I think you should have gotten a second opinion... ;) I think you would have cleared with no head milling.... also if you would have added 4.10 gears you would have been fine getting into the power band. :) I've heard numerous people using the TR230 cam and 5.3 heads.

Stu'sWS6 06-28-2003 03:17 PM

But rather than making this about the G5X cam, how about another example: LS1 Grand-Am Cup, 239/251 which happens to have a 12* split and is capable of 470RWHP (as I stated previously) with a stock bottom end and LPE CNC LS6 heads....

Lets compare apples to apples here... the LS1 Grand Am Series calls for a cam with greater emphasis on the exhaust side b/c an oem exhaust manifold is required on the car. Also keep in mind that these cars are not running a factory pcm-they have motec engine management systems.
IMHO I'd like to see one of these "470rwhp" Grand Am Ls1's with a factory(tuned) pcm before we start comparing them to street strip combo's on this site-I feel that the results would be a little different. Anyone want to donate DFI to the cause, we can use my humble :devil: 346 for the test :D

The g5x2 :jest:I mean comp 232/240 IMO is making awesome power in these motors. 460+ is insane out of 346 inches with a factory pcm. I just can't wait to see what's around the corner for NA LS1 performance. Can 500 rwhp be far away?

JF WS6 06-28-2003 07:21 PM

Lets compare apples to apples here... the LS1 Grand Am Series calls for a cam with greater emphasis on the exhaust side b/c an oem exhaust manifold is required on the car.

If that is the case, that the reason there is such a long duration on the exhaust side of the Grand Am cam is because of the exhaust restrictions, then you wouldn't think the 230/240 Comp XER cam (aka G5X2) would be making the power it is then with cars that have long tube headers and free flowing exhaust, atleast compared to some of the other larger grinds that are out...

Stu'sWS6 06-30-2003 12:50 AM

The g5x2 is making awesome power, but IMO its not making the power it should b/c of the restriction of the intake of the ls1. It's all in what you want in a cam really. I will definitely be switching from a reverse split as soon as a cost effective aftermarket intake is available for the ls1.