Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam/retainter plate/ oil pump torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default cam/retainter plate/ oil pump torque?

So Im finishing up my cam swap, and my torque wrench took a ****, and Id like to get the car finished up tonight, my question is, the retainer plate, and oil pump, and cam and whatnot is all susposed to get torqued to 18ft lbs, has anyone put one back together without torquing them? I used loc-tite and tightened them tight, but im kinda worried that something might come loose. Anyone put a motor back together without doing it? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, you've come this far, don't half-*** it. Last thing you need is something backing out. Torque it down to spec. Just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ughhhh I guess your right T. I'll have to go buy a new torque wrench in the morning. You & Trigger wanna come over and do the valve springs with me? Hahah
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

18ft lbs on the retainer, 26 ft lbs on the cam sprocket.

Don't half *** it. Use red loctite. There's an old saying..

"Never have time to do right it, but you'll make time to do it twice"

Also when your TQ'ing the rockers. Dont just go down the row TQ'ing to 22ft lbs. Your preload will be all over the place. Do it with the correct procedure (do a search for more info)
Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much experience do you have turning wrenches? You know that those small fasteners can't handle a lot of torque before their heads are sheared off, right? If you don't trust yourself wait and go buy a beam type. If you had a lot of experience you probably wouldn't be asking this question. 18 to 26ft/lb isn't a lot. If your worried about applying too much torque use a 1/4" drive rachet. That will limit the about of torque you can apply. You have to develop a "feel" for it and that comes with experience. Don't use this method when doing heavier torques such as head bolts. If you do you may not even be in the ballpark.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
Also when your TQ'ing the rockers. Dont just go down the row TQ'ing to 22ft lbs. Your preload will be all over the place. Do it with the correct procedure (do a search for more info)

That is so very true. I have seen lots of write-ups and posts stating just torque 'em all and roll the motor over and torque 'em again.

R/

Frat
Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just in case you don't have it.