Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

startup after ls6 manifold swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default startup after ls6 manifold swap

so i put everything on, the car had been sitting for a few days and hadnt been started in a while. i also have a 230/228 cam that i just put in on sunday. still untuned, i finished putting the ls6 intake manifold in today. now, i went to go start it and it cranked and cranked then fired up and died. and on the second time i turned the key, it cranked and cranked but never fired. i tried a third time and it did the same thing. then my fourth time a gave it a little gas and it fired right up and began to idle. so i got the car to run finally. my oil pressure is higher than before. so my question to you is

a. why is oil pressure higher?
b. why did i have to give it gas to start it. (could it have been cuz it has a cam and has been sitting for 3 days?)
c. what are some signs i did the swap incorrect or forgot to plug something back up?
d.anything else i should know?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

1. You put the cam in and theres a possiblity that the oring on the oil pump wasnt the best, so no wwith a new oring you have better seal off at the pump. 2. With the cam untuned you have to be idleing eractically so its hard to tell what the oil pressure really is. 3. Just get it tuned and all should be good!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

a. why is oil pressure higher?
Did you install a new oil pump?

b. why did i have to give it gas to start it. (could it have been cuz it has a cam and has been sitting for 3 days?)
The computer being unplugged resets it and forces it to relearn. This, combined with the characteristics of the new cam, means that the car needs a little help to get started and will take some time to relearn how to run on its own. Totally normal.

c. what are some signs i did the swap incorrect or forgot to plug something back up?
Funny noises, leaks, stuff not working. The big things on an intake swap are the oil pressure sending unit (the gauge wouldn't work) and the vacuum line on the back of the manifold (your HVAC would only blow through the defrost and floor vents).

d.anything else i should know?
Keep an eye on everything until you can get some miles on it. And be sure to get it tuned!
Launching!

My guess is you just need a tune. And yea until then it isn't gonna be perfect.
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed. The cam in and the car being untuned is probably the answer to all your questions.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow! Three posts at the same time!