Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Ticking Noise* - Is It A Wrist Pin Or Loose Flywheel Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I'm positive, if u have a spun bearing, that the crank has to be turned. and if its too bad then u will need a new one. from what the shop has told me, u ''CAN'' just replace the bearing, but its not recommended because it messes up clearences. well I hope its not a spun bearing cuz its gonna be a had ache. well good luck man.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive had almost the same taping noise as in ur vid, but not as loud and it goes away as oil pressure subsides when the car warms up. its been doing this ever since i got it, and no one could figure it out, but car has had no problems whatsoever and its not loud enough for me to hear most of the time so f-it i guess.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

well to me that sounds like piston slap or something. its there when its cold and goes away when warm. it happened on my 02 ws6 and it had 30k miles on it. I figured out it was just piston slap. so I just let it warm up before I drove.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
Nah it's def not the valve train. I know because I thought it WAS and re-did my ENTIRE heads/cam only to still have the same F-ING sound there ....

Did you mess w/ the oil pump??

Oil pump pick up O ring.. Get a new one if you did.. -Dead serious. Coming from the driver's side? Sounds kid of like an exh leak? Can hear it from near the collector underneath?
Thicker oil pump o-ring GM# 12557752

Thread. My buddy and I killed ourselves for two months trying to find that damn noise.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=669000&page=6
Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

im almost positive mine is not a piston slap and it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak because ive had 3 exhaust leaks and had to fix them
Old 09-09-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

^^^i am by no means tryin to insult your intelligence, but how are you almost positive its not piston slap. have you heard it on other cars, have people told you, etc. like i said, not bein an ***. but i would make damn sure its not piston slap before you start spendin money or tryin to figure out what else it could be. i hope you get it figured out man, i know how annoying that **** can be.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

naw i know ur not trying to be an ***, but i had piston slap on my dumdumdumdumdum before i threw a bearing lol. but ive had it checked out at some performance shops and its not engine slap. but im not planning on spending money, it has never gotten worse and the car runs amazing...so im not worrying about it...i was just saying i have similar issues lol.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

ok, i gotcha bud. well if its runnin strong and it aint gettin worse...then its all good. haha
Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

yep knock on wood
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

damn man, looks like i am in the same boat as yall, i hear a ticking sound coming from the passenger side and it seems that the sound increases when i accelerate, i personally think its the valvetrain, i might check today , maybe it could be the header leak or bolts.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

^^^well for sure eliminate the easy **** first. hope its something simple. i wish i could find a simple fix on my car. haha. you could set my car on fire and roll it down a hill and i still would trade it for a coupe de ville...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Did you mess w/ the oil pump??

Oil pump pick up O ring.. Get a new one if you did.. -Dead serious. Coming from the driver's side? Sounds kid of like an exh leak? Can hear it from near the collector underneath?
Thicker oil pump o-ring GM# 12557752

Thread. My buddy and I killed ourselves for two months trying to find that damn noise.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=669000&page=6
Did you mess w/ the oil pump????
Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the OP tried cutting spark to each cylinder and seeing if the noise changes?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by keliente
Has the OP tried cutting spark to each cylinder and seeing if the noise changes?
No i have not done that. I will look into it asap. However I have noticed there is also a vibration in the car around 2200+ rpm which again, leads me to believe it's something rotating and not just piston slap. To my knowledge piston slap doesn't not cause vibrations - even at it's worst.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Launching!

I've been chasing an engine tick that sounds a lot like your video and a "flapping/buzzing" sound under decel that I think are the same noise.

Question for you (Xtreme57): Since you also have an M6, do you get any strange noises when you shift gears above 3k? Mine makes a clatter that sounds like the same noise as my tick (just a lot more rapid), and if you've got the same noise then we may share a common problem. I made a thread about it here, but didn't get nearly the amount of suggestions/responses you have (must be the Caddy thing).

Let me know.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Orlando
I've been chasing an engine tick that sounds a lot like your video and a "flapping/buzzing" sound under decel that I think are the same noise.

Question for you (Xtreme57): Since you also have an M6, do you get any strange noises when you shift gears above 3k? Mine makes a clatter that sounds like the same noise as my tick (just a lot more rapid), and if you've got the same noise then we may share a common problem. I made a thread about it here, but didn't get nearly the amount of suggestions/responses you have (must be the Caddy thing).

Let me know.

Hahaha well it's hard for anyone to resist a black Ws6 lol.

To get to your question - no, no clattering shifting at higher rpm. I HAVE noticed that it is harder to shift at higher rpm (up or downshifting - mostly down). Sounds like your ish might be a flywheel bolt. Maybe a mechanic's stethoscope and listen for exactly where it is.

But def keep me posted.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Well, I got the car on a lift today and poked around with a stethoscope.

I didn't hear much of anything coming from the bellhousing or the headers, just a shitpot full of noise from the valvetrain (both sides). It was a much faster clatter than the "tick tick tick tick" I have at idle, and I couldn't find anything making a noise that matched the rhythm of the noise I'm hearing. It was also (obviously) impossible to listen for the decel and shifting noise while the car was on the lift, so I'm back at the same place I was one year ago: What the hell is making noise on my car??!!

:annoyed:
Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

hope you figure it out mine needs to be tuned out

Last edited by santiago; 10-28-2008 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: *Ticking Noise* - Is It A Wrist Pin Or Loose Flywheel Bolt?