LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   Who flycut their own pistons, or who can do it? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/98160-who-flycut-their-own-pistons-who-can-do.html)

SPANKY LS1 09-04-2003 03:08 PM

Who flycut their own pistons, or who can do it?

I called my local LS1 shop (Speed Inc.), and they said they couldn't do it, who did their own? I have a few questions:

How hard was it?
Where did you get the jig and tools?
Any pics, tips, writeups?

I live in Northern Illinois, and need them cut with the shortblock in the car, any tips on who can do it? Any help is appreciated, thanks, Shawn

robertbartsch 09-04-2003 03:29 PM

Re: Who flycut their own pistons, or who can do it?

...one of our sponsors rents a special cylynder head that has the valve seats cut out.... you slap in a cutting tool, lightly bolt on the head and spin the tool with a drill or by hand....it goes quick....this can be done in the car...

Search for posts on this....about 5 or 6 months ago....

bodhi 09-04-2003 03:38 PM

I think it's TEA...

robertbartsch 09-04-2003 04:17 PM

...don't try this without the special rental head. I think I remember one guy who used his old heads with the valve seats "in"...

The cuts did not align properly and he had piston-to-valve clearance issues...

The guy from Diamond pistons said the removal of material does not impact the balance too much...

Fireball 09-04-2003 05:20 PM

...don't try this without the special rental head. I think I remember one guy who used his old heads with the valve seats "in"...

The cuts did not align properly and he had piston-to-valve clearance issues...

The guy from Diamond pistons said the removal of material does not impact the balance too much...

I was the guy you are referring too. I had a whole blurb about it but essentially I couldn't get the piston to TDC fully with the ISky tool in place which resulted in my flycuts being slightly in the wrong place. I had a machine shop modify the tool (remove some from the back side) to correct this and no longer have a problem ;)

Fireball 09-04-2003 05:23 PM

here was what I wrote back in April :)

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...true#Post19382

LG Motorsports 09-04-2003 06:44 PM

Shawn,
My son Louis is going to school in Indiana. You and he can arrange some way to get him together with you and your car to fly cut your pistons.

Give me a call, and I can swap your phone numbers , or he can private message you.

He does installs in Lafayette, (Purdue) to make extra school money. He did 3 G5X-2 installs last term. I'm sure that he can help you out, he has done a bunch of these.

Thanks,

Lou Gigliotti LGM

BergerMan 09-05-2003 11:26 AM

I cut mine using my old heads (with the seats installed) and it worked fine! With the piston at TDC the head will not sit completely flush but thats ok. Just be sure to locate the lower portion of the head on the dowel pins for alignment. The intake side of the head will sit up a bit but the weight of the head puts the perfect amount of pressure on the cutter. Shoot me an email of you need any more help.

Slowhawk 09-05-2003 12:27 PM

I cut mine with the Isky tool with the valve seats in too.No problems here.You have to make sure you get a big enough cutter to make up the TDC piston setup.I run 2.02 valves and got a cutter of 2.08.Took abot 2 hours to cut all 8 while checking as we go.