Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What times from AFR 205's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am just wrapping up my AFR 205 59cc install with a new 224°/230° XFI lobe on 111°+1°. It will be a little while before I get it tuned, since I am still pretty green with HP Tuners.

Don't worry about what times other people are running. If you make the power (and you will make nice numbers with that combo) and you can hook it with a suitable stall speed and gears, then the ET will be there for you.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
From doing days of searching...its seems like ported stock 241 GM heads with small
cams are running better times than with the AFR's with small cams. And when i say small i dont mean 224/228 cams...thats not small....208 duration thats small...224 cams are mid-sized.
But the cam i'm looking at is a Comp LSK 218/224. And its looking like stock ported 241's
are more than holding their own. Actually i've seen stock 243 heads unported do great with small cams...Like the corvette Zo6 for instance 243 heads and 204 cam. please someone post AFR's with a cam 220*'s or less that runs 11.7's please.
Why are you so stuck on smalls cams like that? run a 228 cam and the AFRs are you will be tickled to death. I am running faster times than what you are talking about with just a cam and bolt ons. My car is pretty much a full weight car.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^cause i'm gonna be mostly street use only..i dont care about big cams. Plus i'm in NJ
so th sniffer is an issue here. Plus i wat to build a torque monster...216, 218 cams do that
much better. In the past theres been a ton of small cams and poerted stock heads running
good times, but are a monster.with my prvious setup if i got out ahead of someone on a street race or drag race they couldn't run me down cause i had the tq to launch the car hard.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Thats why think i'm gonna find a shop that can do a stage1 port job on my stock castings or just get a set of LS6 cleanup the runners myself, throw them on and add the 218/224
and Vig 3200 and have a blast on the street. like my WS6 had.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dennis, with new tuning these days, you can get a 224/228 cam in a set of milled AFR's to idle at 750rpm without a problem, and the car will make sick torque down low all day long.

PM Tony Mamo from this site, he's AFR's rep and talk to him about what you are looking for and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

B-Las
Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Try talking to Tony Mamo, he is a genius... He has made 500 rwhp on cam/205 setups much smaller than mine...

I wish i would have gone that way the first time around...
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Formula00
Try talking to Tony Mamo, he is a genius... He has made 500 rwhp on cam/205 setups much smaller than mine...

i agree..i may hit him up to see how i can improve upon my combo
Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Dennis, with new tuning these days, you can get a 224/228 cam in a set of milled AFR's to idle at 750rpm without a problem, and the car will make sick torque down low all day long.

PM Tony Mamo from this site, he's AFR's rep and talk to him about what you are looking for and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

B-Las

224/228 is GREAT cam for AFR's Research it.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

B-Las
I agree, the AFR 224/228@114 is the smallest matching cam to the AFRs. Thats what you want to do, match the heads with a cam. any smaller profile and your leaving alot of power on the table. i can daily drive my car if I wanted to.

PS- NJ doesnt do sniffer tests on cars newer than 1996. they use OBD testing only. I passed with my Vette. No check engine lites
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
10 Second Club

B-Las
Hey Bri whats up? I know i can use a 224 cam..i used to run the TR224 in my first setup on my WS6...then i stepped done and liked my setup better. Theres nothing wrong with those cams i just refer the 220* or slightly smaller cause i can run about the same with a 218 cam as i can with a 224 cam. When i had my 216/220 cam in my WS6 it went 11.7's n/a full weight...I called Thunder and Geoff even told me to dont bother going to the TR224 cause its only a 6 or 7 rwhp gain and maybe a tenth..so i stuck with the 216/220 cam and loved it. I also have a A4 so i like the smaller cams and i never lost too many street match ups with my small setup..I only lost a race to Nick in N.E. Philly who had a 2003 Cobra with a ported blower and N20 making 580rwhp.lol. and he only got me buy 2 1/2 cars, and i was running a 100 wet shot. So for the small heads that Joe did and the tiny cam and nice stall and self tuned i ran pretty good. But i know what you're saying believe me. Take care.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Formula00

Thats great..but dyno numbers dont mean nothing when the tires it the street.
I more interested in 1/4 times with smaller cams with the AFR's only. I dont need heads if i want to run a 228 or 232 cam i would just stay cam only, thats
proved to be a potent way to go, but i'm looking for the small heads and a small cam to help me run what i used to run or better, and my old setup didn't have any special suspension setup, most of it was GM stuff. I would feel better if i saw someone post that they run AFR's, a 220/220 cam no higher, with fully bolt ons run at least 11.7's in full weight and at 115mph or alittle better, thats all i want..i know i can run this cam or that cam but i want to run my cam.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eamador11
I agree, the AFR 224/228@114 is the smallest matching cam to the AFRs. Thats what you want to do, match the heads with a cam. any smaller profile and your leaving alot of power on the table. i can daily drive my car if I wanted to.

PS- NJ doesnt do sniffer tests on cars newer than 1996. they use OBD testing only. I passed with my Vette. No check engine lites

Thats great to know...do you have any times with your setup?
I had another conversation with another guy about sniffer test in NJ. Ever time i took my WS6 they did the OBD2 port test BUT they also still used the probe in my Borla and the screen showed PASS and that was the sniffer test. But since i had a small cam i passes, and then they checked the OBD2 port and that passed. But i still got the tail pipe test and i was surprised they did it..lol.
So i thought it was a fluke. So i bought a 2002 Camaro SS A4 with 2009 original miles on it I love it, but check this out...i had to get it inspected, no big deal...so the guy that usually tells ya to go wait in that little booth they have...lol. But was talking about how nice the car was, blah, blah...so he runs the OBD2 test that was OK...then he pulls the probe out...and i asked him if they still do that, and he said they sometimes do.lol. WhaT???? i Guess cause it was a sports car , i dont know but whatever.

Last edited by BlackNiteWS6; 10-01-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
224/228 is GREAT cam for AFR's Research it.
That cool...i bet you will fly when you get tires...thats nice power you make thru an A4 with a stall..good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I personally ran a 12.7@116, on 19" CCW 505s, street tires, launched at idle, bad wheel hop. that was before FAST90 and 4.10s as you can tell, not the best setup and driver skill for the 1/4. i cant afford to break **** so i keep it on the street and I road race now.

oh and those guys at the dmv was just playing with you. even if it failed the sniffer they cant do **** about it because they did a test that is not necessary. i would have laughed at him if he failed my car with a probe and say shut up and give me my 2 year sticker.

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Thats great to know...do you have any times with your setup?
I had another conversation with another guy about sniffer test in NJ. Ever time i took my WS6 they did the OBD2 port test BUT they also still used the probe in my Borla and the screen showed PASS and that was the sniffer test. But since i had a small cam i passes, and then they checked the OBD2 port and that passed. But i still got the tail pipe test and i was surprised they did it..lol.
So i thought it was a fluke. So i bought a 2002 Camaro SS A4 with 2009 original miles on it I love it, but check this out...i had to get it inspected, no big deal...so the guy that usually tells ya to go wait in that little booth they have...lol. But was talking about how nice the car was, blah, blah...so he runs the OBD2 test that was OK...then he pulls the probe out...and i asked him if they still do that, and he said they sometimes do.lol. WhaT???? i Guess cause it was a sports car , i dont know but whatever.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

I recently went to a track day with the guys from Speed Inc. and their was a guy with a A4 SS with AFR 205s and one of Speed Inc. smaller cams running mid 11s all day long.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

^^yeah there's ways around sniffers...lol. Like going to a shop that only does the roller test and OBD2 test I just did a search on AFR 205's with a 224/228 cam in a 3570lbs
vetter and it ran 11.20's!!! Now thats what i'm talking aboutAnd he used a Vig3200, the same stall i got....YESSSS!!! I'm getting there now
Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Well there is a good cam that i like that SPeed, Inc sells...it the 222/228 cam ..i like that one. I know that works great and idles nice in a A4 and tunes in real nice...ANd its on a 115lsa even better for the A4 I think i'm ready....now the blower kit has too go away now Oh well...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your killing yourself and others reading this....LOL

Four years ago I spent a week on the dyno optimizing smaller street friendly camshafts with our AFR 205 heads.

The 224/228 is in my opinion the best "all around" cam you will find and coupled with our heads and the typical host of complimenting bolts on's (headers, FAST intake possibly, UD pulley, EWP, etc. etc,), it will net you a very powerful and street friendly set-up.

It will run the number and give you the low end torque you seek as well as near stock driving manners (good fuel economy as well if you keep your foot out of it). In my PM I mentioned a 220/224 cam because that was alot better than alot of the smaller cams you seemed to be enamored with, but honestly the 224/228 grind myself and many others after me have ran has proven itself time and time again.

Your not reinventing the wheel here....just following in the footsteps of others with tried and true proven combinations.

If your still really hesitant on moving forward before you do a thing try to track down someone local with a similar combo so you can experience it perhaps. Hit the local cruise nights and ask around....guaranteed someone has a similar package they would love to let you check out and possibly take you for a ride in....most people are pretty cool about having the opportunity to show off the stuff they are proud of.

Good luck....feel free to call me as I suggested

Tony