Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing help On desiding what to do with My 243s on budget?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Needing help On desiding what to do with My 243s on budget?

Ok heres the deal I have a 99 corvette with a MS4, underdrive, full exhaust, ported Fast 90/90 on a fresh stock spec engine with .080 flycut on both intake and exhaust on the pistons.

Ive got a set of 243's out of a 01 z06 sitting here doing nothing. Im on a budget right now. I wanted to send the heads off to tsp or patriot for the porting but my future plans have really made me question this. Id like to build a bigger motor next year and i dont think the 243s would be enough.

Which leaves me to Now I want to have fun with the car. Since its a stock bottom end and I want to spray it basically to the max once a month for fun (remember again I plan on doing a stroker sometime)

I kinda dont want to have the heads ported, How much am I leaving on the table? Id much rather spend the money toward a nitrous kit and basically push the tables to the limit.

I figured I could put these castings on, as they are much better than my 853s. What would Milling do to help, I know I have the MS4 but I also have reliefs .080 deep. Is running 59CC chambers by milling .036 Feasable? What would my gains be with the 243s stock but with 59cc chambers?

again Im on a budget and think I can make the rest up with the spray?

help me deside what to do
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CNC Porting of your castings would be really pretty cheap. As a result you'd probably be able to get most of your $$$ back out of the heads if you ever decided to sell them & upgrade to something like the ported l92 heads for a big stroker.

The MS4, & larger valve heads will work fine with .080" reliefs with .036 of milling. If you decide to port the heads give us a call, we can get them in & out of here & get you on the road ASAP!!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do it once, do it right.

gut the **** out of the heads! its not that expensive and you would be more than happy. ive seen shops port/mill for 300 out the door