LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   Repeat rear main seal leak (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/996660-repeat-rear-main-seal-leak.html)

00pooterSS 10-04-2008 11:43 AM

Repeat rear main seal leak

I did a little searching and almost all of the threads were about how to install, how do I know if it is blah blah, I KNOW it is the rear main, and I know how to install it but damnit for some reason the bastard still leaks.

My question is has anyone found a surefire seal and/or procedure to cure this issue. I put in a brand new Fel-pro, made sure and put it in the right direction, and also replaced the housing seal but I still have a leak, I dont really mind pulling the tranny again if I know how to make it stop in one shot I just want it fixed.

If any of you guys know of a good link you could post or info it would be much appreciated, I know there are many out there with this problem but I couldn't find a clear answer on a procedure that has worked for many.

Someone said they put it in backwards and that worked for them but is there one way that many have done with success?

Thanks in advance guys.

witry 10-04-2008 12:04 PM

i just went to pontiac got one for like 50 bucks and pulled the old one out and but the new one is with some wood and a hammer and it dosnt leak at all ive done my friends with an advance seal and same thing hold good

you maybe also pressuring the crank case with a bad pcv and that might be the problem

00pooterSS 10-04-2008 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by witry (Post 10226072)
i just went to pontiac got one for like 50 bucks and pulled the old one out and but the new one is with some wood and a hammer and it dosnt leak at all ive done my friends with an advance seal and same thing hold good

you maybe also pressuring the crank case with a bad pcv and that might be the problem

Well I did check the PCV a while back and it was fine I will look again, but I am about 99% sure that is not it, it was leaking before when i checked the PCV.

I F'ing hate oil leaks, all my cars you could eat off the oil pan, and after hours of cleaning every part under this car after a neglected oil leak by the previous owner everything is getting nasty again and it really sucks.:bang:

Mart00SS 10-04-2008 01:11 PM

Where is it leaking exactally, from the seal, or the housing? Common problem spot is where the bottom of the housing meets up with the oil pan. I used a bunch of RTV in this area only.

flyin ryan 10-04-2008 02:27 PM

You may want to check the plug (looks like a soft plug ) inside the crank . They have been known to leak.

If that's not it or you are sure it's comming for the rear main, inspect the surface of the crank where the seal rides for pitting. That can be an even bigger problem.

Good luck with it.

Ryan

00pooterSS 10-05-2008 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mart00SS (Post 10226326)
Where is it leaking exactally, from the seal, or the housing? Common problem spot is where the bottom of the housing meets up with the oil pan. I used a bunch of RTV in this area only.

seal to crank. I replaced the gasket for the housing and put RTV in the corners.

Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan
You may want to check the plug (looks like a soft plug ) inside the crank . They have been known to leak.

If that's not it or you are sure it's comming for the rear main, inspect the surface of the crank where the seal rides for pitting. That can be an even bigger problem.

Good luck with it.

Ryan

I did not check that plug next time the tranny is out I will check it but I am 99% its just the crank to seal area, and the crank surface was pretty good, thats why I am scratching my head over it, I guess my next one will come from GM and I will look into getting another plug too.

The plug.... is it replaceable or just fill it with RTV?

flyin ryan 10-05-2008 03:07 AM

The plugs are available.
If you do a search you should be able to come up with the correct size.
Be sure to coat the new plug with some permatex or other gasket sealer.

Ryan

00pooterSS 10-05-2008 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by flyin ryan (Post 10229354)
The plugs are available.
If you do a search you should be able to come up with the correct size.
Be sure to coat the new plug with some permatex or other gasket sealer.

Ryan

thanks man