Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to have this block re-machined???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I have to have this block re-machined???

I was getting ready to put the heads on my iron 370, but I found a small scratch in the sealing surface from one of the cylindes to one of the coolant jackets right next to it. I can just barley feel it with my fingernail, and I'm planning on pushing a D1SC to its limits on this motor. I was planning on running the 5 layer GM MLS head gastkets, and from what I hear they need a pretty much perfect surface to seal. Does this sound like I will deffinatly need to have it machined? I'm hoping its not nescessary to have to send it back to be re-done, but if it needs to be done it needs to be done.

This was from my camera phone, I will try to get a higher qualty pic but this shows where its at.

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 10-06-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for sure wouldn't run it. Just think how much static comprssion you'll be running and how much could blow through a lil scratch. You really want to pull it out later? Not a good sealing surface in my opinion. Mls hedgaskets don't have a lot of crush.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hard to tell how bad it is from the pics... How about using a graphite gasket? Or spray the los gaskets with copper sealer?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gasket spray (sealer) might hold water pressure but it wont put up with cylinder pressure. You need a flat mating surface to properly seal the head gaslets and contain the cylinder pressure.

If it was my block I would deck it just to be on the safe side...

Tony
Old 10-06-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run down to your local machinist, and have hime show you a set of heads that have been surffaced, not milled, and you will see that that are all scratched to hell like that.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

I got a quote of around $900 to have it torn down and resurfaced. I think I'm gonna throw it in my truck and have them take a look at it. I can just barely feel it with my nail, not a deep scratch at all, but I hate its location. Gonna have em look at it and give their opinion in a few days. Hopefully its not too bad. May switch to a graphite head gasket as I am pretty sure it would be ok with that type of gasket. The scratch is maybe as deep as a human hair or less I'd say.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Is O-Ringing a viable option? I imagine the block can have grooves cut without dissasembling the whole motor right? Probably cheaper then $900 to have it decked too, I hope? lol
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

O-ringing it is an option but the motor will still have to come apart. I wouldn't want to be cutting grooves in my block with metal particles going everywhere and in my motor. O-ring gaskets cost more also.