Notices
Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Heads and Intake on LS2 Shortblock?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Heads and Intake on LS2 Shortblock?

Hey,

I was wondering it is a simple bolt-on to run LS3 heads, intake, and injectors on an LS2 shortblock? Does anybody no about doing this?

Also, could I run an LS3 cam in an LS2 shortblock set-up with the LS3 heads and intake?

If shortblock is a 2004 with different reluctor than on an LS3 cam, am I better-off running an LS6 cam in this situation?

If any of the above works as a direct bolt-on, what would be a safe rev-limit to run if racing- i.e. is the limiting factor on a stock LS2 the valve gear alone, or is there a weak-link in the bottom end?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Sorry- I meant if the shortblock is a 2005, not a 2004!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Not trying to come off like an a$$, do yourself a favor and read/search. There are tons of posts with LS2 6.0 shortblocks running LS3 tops. Even more posts about ls3 cams.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately, most of the threads when I search are not so clear what they are about. I'm looking for a simple 'YES' or 'NO'.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Teching In

IF you want to keep stock CR, the heads will need to be milled. How much? Search. With a stock LS2 cam, be it a C6, GTO, or even a TBSS, PTV clearence should not be an issue. I don't remember which head gasket to use, if you decide to have the heads milled. MAP sensors are different between the LS2 and LS3, but that should be included when you get the manifold. Is it a "simple bolt-on"? No.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Go to LS1GTO.com. Theres a 70 or so page thread on this. Search L92/LS3.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JustAnotherLS2 View Post
IF you want to keep stock CR, the heads will need to be milled. How much? Search. With a stock LS2 cam, be it a C6, GTO, or even a TBSS, PTV clearence should not be an issue. I don't remember which head gasket to use, if you decide to have the heads milled. MAP sensors are different between the LS2 and LS3, but that should be included when you get the manifold. Is it a "simple bolt-on"? No.
That's what I was looking for!

Thanks very much!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Cam choice is very important in this though. This setup does not need a huge donkey dick cam to make ideal power. IIRC, these heads/intake like a low duration standard split cam. Low duration meaning under the 230* range. And also PTV clearence will eventually become an issue when you get into the longer durations and high lifts.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

I
was wondering it is a simple bolt-on to run LS3 heads, intake, and injectors on an LS2 shortblock? Does anybody no about doing this?
It works great.

Also, could I run an LS3 cam in an LS2 shortblock set-up with the LS3 heads and intake?
Yes, but why, get a better cam.
If shortblock is a 2004 with different reluctor than on an LS3 cam, am I better-off running an LS6 cam in this situation?
I think you are confused. Reluctor is on crank. If you mean cam gear you already have ls2 cam gear and front mount cam sensor. I believe ls6 cam would be better than ls3 cam.
If any of the above works as a direct bolt-on, what would be a safe rev-limit to run if racing- i.e. is the limiting factor on a stock LS2 the valve gear alone, or is there a weak-link in the bottom end?
Bottom end will be fine and you need good valve springs with the ls3 valves if you want to go to 7k reliably.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06 View Post
I It works great.

Yes, but why, get a better cam.
I think you are confused. Reluctor is on crank. If you mean cam gear you already have ls2 cam gear and front mount cam sensor. I believe ls6 cam would be better than ls3 cam.
Bottom end will be fine and you need good valve springs with the ls3 valves if you want to go to 7k reliably.
what kind of hp can be created from this iron block ls3 head combo?...I realize cam has a lot to do with it as well.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jerry fife View Post
what kind of hp can be created from this iron block ls3 head combo?...I realize cam has a lot to do with it as well.
I have a 06 GTO M6 with LS3 heads and intake plus injectors. The heads are milled .030" and running .040" head gaskets. Running a 230/238 Cam Motion cam. It pulled 480/434. SAE corrected. NOT AN IRON BLOCK.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JimmyGTO View Post
I have a 06 GTO M6 with LS3 heads and intake plus injectors. The heads are milled .030" and running .040" head gaskets. Running a 230/238 Cam Motion cam. It pulled 480/434. SAE corrected. NOT AN IRON BLOCK.
thank you...that's what I'm looking for...going to build one for a swap in my 5 series BMW as the current motor will be on its last leg by then
Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know which block is more likely to be able to bore to 4.060...the lq4 lq9 or ly6? Or is is a crap shoot?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 Heads and Intake on LS2 Shortblock?

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: