Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody remove stock oil cooler, and replace with an aftermarket cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody remove stock oil cooler, and replace with an aftermarket cooler?

I am thinking of removing the oil heater/cooler, and installing a true oil cooler.
anyone done this on a new camaro yet? Engine is not stock it's a forged 416 LS3 looks like you can tap the inlet outlet holes for the oil cooler, and run 2 line up to the front of the car, and the block off the coolant lines that are no longer needed.
Reason for this, is after removal of the oil cooler for inspection( motor is out of the car) we noticed a what seems to be a crack on the inlet side of the oil cooler.. dealer wants $400 for the cooler.. this will be the 3rd time replaceing it, and I am looking for a new option..

any opinions??????
Old 08-27-2011, 05:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Also curious about this. The oil cooler just seems like junk, and takes up so much space.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Also curious about this. The oil cooler just seems like junk, and takes up so much space.
I have found the parts to do this,
I have found the oil pan adapter, and some steel braided hose
along with some AN fittings, and an oil cooler with an electric fan..
this is what I will be going with instead of the stock cooler..

parts costs around $450
you could probably knock $50 -$75 off of that if you didn't go with steel braided hose, and an electric cooler.. that would get you well below the OEM cooler price.

Quick Reply: Anybody remove stock oil cooler, and replace with an aftermarket cooler?