Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Injection What's on your mind??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Direct Injection What's on your mind??

GM stated that the new Gen V engines will come out with Direct Injection. Sounds like pretty good technology that has been around for a little while. I'm wondering what if any it will carry over into the performance market for high HP builds. Sure sounds promising. What is everyone's thoughts?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

732 veiws and nobody has any thoughts or input on this? Wow, slow days on Tech...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as the fuel system is up to the task it will be fine.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Operating psi is to the moon....75 to 200 bar. AFR's in the econo mode at 65:1, performance range at 25:1. Op volts as hi as 90.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Operating psi is to the moon....75 to 200 bar. AFR's in the econo mode at 65:1, performance range at 25:1. Op volts as hi as 90.
So with all this will we be benefiting at all?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We'll have to benefit from it. Once everyone realizes the benefits, you won't want anything else. This isn't a new technology by any means. Diesels have been this way almost forever. This is how they run such high combustion #'s, dont require spark plugs, and can burn a fuel that is less refined.

I honestly dont know why we haven't implemented this into the gasoline world long ago. I'm excited about it. I look for the OEM's to come out with some crate engines that offer DI, similar to what GM has done with the E-rod's. Once that happens I expect the aftermarket to be all over it. It will require some revamping of our factory fuel systems but it will be worth it.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
We'll have to benefit from it. Once everyone realizes the benefits, you won't want anything else. This isn't a new technology by any means. Diesels have been this way almost forever. This is how they run such high combustion #'s, dont require spark plugs, and can burn a fuel that is less refined.

I honestly dont know why we haven't implemented this into the gasoline world long ago. I'm excited about it. I look for the OEM's to come out with some crate engines that offer DI, similar to what GM has done with the E-rod's. Once that happens I expect the aftermarket to be all over it. It will require some revamping of our factory fuel systems but it will be worth it.
I agree 100%. If it takes a little extra money to gain me a little more HP, drivability, and maybe even a little more MPG i'm all for it
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from gen 3 motor to a gen 4. Better believe I'll be all over gen 5.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

If I recall correctly the Cadillac V6 picked up 50 horsepower a couple of years ago when they went to direct injection. I am surprised that direct injection has not been engineered into the GM performance V8s yet.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28Z06
If I recall correctly the Cadillac V6 picked up 50 horsepower a couple of years ago when they went to direct injection. I am surprised that direct injection has not been engineered into the GM performance V8s yet.
I agree. I hope it's something we can retrofit to our Fast intake or it will be more $$ right out the window again!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I agree. I hope it's something we can retrofit to our Fast intake or it will be more $$ right out the window again!
I hope your kidding...DI requires a different cylinder head design with a boss for the fuel injector as well as the spark plug. Fuel is sprayed....directly....into the cylinder.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope your kidding...DI requires a different cylinder head design with a boss for the fuel injector as well as the spark plug. Fuel is sprayed....directly....into the cylinder.
Yeah, you're going to need a completely new top end from cylinder heads to intake manifold. The whole point of DI is that the injector sits in the head and not in the intake track anymore...so retrofitting DI to current engines will have nothing to do with the intake manifold. At the least it would be plugging up the existing injector holes as they will be of no use anymore and you don't want open holes in your manifold.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
Yeah, you're going to need a completely new top end from cylinder heads to intake manifold. The whole point of DI is that the injector sits in the head and not in the intake track anymore...so retrofitting DI to current engines will have nothing to do with the intake manifold. At the least it would be plugging up the existing injector holes as they will be of no use anymore and you don't want open holes in your manifold.
Hahahaha, man we needa sarcasm/joke button in this place
Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

With all the dumb people/posts in this forum, one can never be to careful with seemingly idiotic posts. It's better to be safe than sorry, so when I am faced with such posts I tend to just go along as if the post was real and not sarcastic.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
With all the dumb people/posts in this forum, one can never be to careful with seemingly idiotic posts. It's better to be safe than sorry, so when I am faced with such posts I tend to just go along as if the post was real and not sarcastic.
Oh i understand, guy never knows his/her machanical knowledge from behind the keybord. I assure you it's not the case here
Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been looking for a sarcasm font for years!
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Direct injection brings a bunch of problems to the table. Go check out the Audi RS4 forums for the power robbing valve debris build up that happens because there is no cleaning fuel wash across the back of the intake valve head. This is now happening to the GM V6 motors, VW DI motors, Lexus DI motors and many others.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427 zeo6
Direct injection brings a bunch of problems to the table. Go check out the Audi RS4 forums for the power robbing valve debris build up that happens because there is no cleaning fuel wash across the back of the intake valve head. This is now happening to the GM V6 motors, VW DI motors, Lexus DI motors and many others.
As a minimum, your going to have to swap over to a vented catch can and not run any vaccum or vent to the intake from the crank case. The maybe add a methanol injection or water/meth and retune it so you can keep it clean inside.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427 zeo6
Issues reeling their ugly heads that soon in the game means it will be quite sometime for it is perfected
Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

the power robbing valve debris build up that happens because there is no cleaning fuel wash across the back of the intake valve head.
If you've every seen valves in most port injection engines you'd know that no valve is ever spotless. Fuel can be dirty too, and it can gum up on the valve just as much as oil.

As mentioned, a simple solution would be for a catch can to be installed or the PCV system to be vented out in the air as apposed to pulled by the vacuum back in the manifold.

Quick Reply: Direct Injection What's on your mind??