Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls3 t56 into a 94 trans am problems with tranny

Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls3 t56 into a 94 trans am problems with tranny

ok so the engine is in the car and when i went to bolt up the tranny to the bellhousing against the block theres about a half an inch gap. The tranny came out of a 96 ws6 but i swapped out the bellhousing, the front plate, and the input shaft for ls1 stuff the clutch im using is an ls7. Could the pilot bearing be causing this?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds to me like your input shaft is not sliding into the pilot bushing/bearing...which could just be a clutch disc alignment issue. Have you put a clutch in before? If not, it's not always easy to get the disc lined up correctly.

At this point, I'd take the pressure plate and disc off the engine, and see if you can get the transmission to go flush to the engine then. If that works, you just need to try to line the clutch up better on installation...once it's assembled it doesn't matter, the first time you step on the pedal what you did during assembly doesn't matter.

If that doesn't work, you'd need to make sure there isn't a problem with the pilot bearing/bushing.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Verify you have the correct pilot bearing, there are 2 styles the corvette pilot bearing sits in the outer register of the crank and will not let the input shaft go in far enough. The camaro, gto style is smaller and sits in a register further inside the crank thus allowing the input shaft to go in that extra 1/2 inch you are looking for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls3 t56 into a 94 trans am problems with tranny