Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 swapped escalade????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 swapped escalade????

Hello all im new to this forum in fact i just joined and for a very particular reason. I blew the motor on my 07 escalade and am debating doing an ls3 swap. I dont know if anyone has any knowledge of this or not but i figured id try. Has it been done? Will that motor bolt up to the tranny fine? stock Motor mounts ok? will the stock l92 ecu work or will i need one from an ls3? here are a few pics of my truck. Any info or advice on this would be alot of help. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails LS3 swapped escalade????-ls1tech.jpg   LS3 swapped escalade????-ls1tech2.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 PM

if i can figure out how to get vids on here i will upload a few
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

im still confused on how you blew up an 07 escalade lol
Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

I assume you had a L92 in it.. So when you say LS3 do you mean intake to oil pan??
The LS3 intake wont clear truck accessories
Your ecu will just need a tune
The LS3 injectors are bigger than the L92 intake
Does your Truck have VVT??? I dont think LS3 crates come with VVT but i'm not positive
But if you had a 6.2 L92, going to a 6.2 LS3 isnt going to make night and day difference unless you Cam it
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 PM

I was cruisin home and hit my favorite straight away and proceeded to open her up...i was WOT in 4th and had to let out and start to slow down. As i was gettin back to cruisin speed the check engine light started flashing and it started to run funny (misfiring). luckily i was close to home and i parked it had it towed to the dealer and today they told me that i lost cylinder #7. Basically they pulled the spark plug off and said it was pretty rowdy inside. Said somethin broke off and took a dive in not sure exactly though cuz they wanted to charge 1400 to open her up and i said no. Im taking her over to my buddys shop and were gonna see how bad it is. Hopefully its just the piston and theres no damage to the cylinder wall but if it is than im debating doin a swap.

Im pretty sure it has VVT im not 100%

I got a friend that works for GM and he said he could get me an employee discount on an LS3 longblock with ecu so id swap the whole thing

and when u say it wont clear truck accessories what do u mean?

and heck yeah id throw a fat cam in it.

Originally Posted by LsxNotchy
im still confused on how you blew up an 07 escalade lol
heres a quick vid of her a few months back....do this for 113 thousand miles and thats how you blow an l92 lol

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Beast

and when u say it wont clear truck accessories what do u mean?

The throttle body sits lower on the car intake and there will be interference with the truck accessories. You'll have to use your truck intake.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that you have a heavy vehicle and with the loss of VVT and the truck intake you will take somewhat of a hit on torque down low.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 PM

hmm than maybe an LS3 isnt the best idea for this truck. when u say intake do you mean the manifold? and could i not just build a custom intake that will reach the throttle body or will there be absolutely no room whatsoever with the LS3 intake set up?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, first off, an LS3 "swap" is almost pointless. I'm going through all the L92/LS3 stuff right now with my '00 SS. I bought a L92 shortblock pretty much, LS3 heads, VVT delete, etc. The shortblock is practically identical. I think the only difference is the L92 has valve reliefs for the VVT. The heads are identical as well with the only difference being the LS3 heads have hollow stem intake valves, and I think the valve springs are different. The intake and VVT are your only real differences. I would suggest just getting a FAST truck intake, or keeping the L92 intake since you don't seem to know these all that well or do your own work. Going with the LS3 intake takes a little modification, and will result in loss of torque, which you don't want since its in an Escalade. As for the cam, I would stick with the VVT and get a cam from Mast Motorsports. They have cams that are proven to prove serious power and insane torque down low over a non-VVT motor, since thats essentially the point of VVT.

PM me if you do in fact replace it. I'd be interested in rebuilding it for either a swap for my Syclone or swap it into the G8 GT for a little more power.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

an ls3 longblock would be a direct replacement. The only difference is the intake, cam, and vvt. Which I believe the automatic camaros got vvt (L99) or AFM, or something like that. Keep your truck intake on there and cam it. The truck intake flows better than the LS3 intake anyways. It's just not as pretty...lol.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 03_Denali
an ls3 longblock would be a direct replacement. The only difference is the intake, cam, and vvt. Which I believe the automatic camaros got vvt (L99) or AFM, or something like that. Keep your truck intake on there and cam it. The truck intake flows better than the LS3 intake anyways. It's just not as pretty...lol.
Wow, if only all the exact same information was posted right above your post...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 AM

i appreciate the advice you guys. ok so if the ls3 is no gonna be worth the swap maybe ill just bore it .60 over and throw in some new internals. maybe a cam and intake.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Teching In

i appreciate the advice you guys. ok so if the ls3 is no gonna be worth the swap maybe ill just bore it .60 over and throw in some new internals. maybe a cam and intake.
Good Idea
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO BAD IDEA AND DUMB!

He has no clue! You can't bore an L92 .60 over.

You can however use the Ls3 short-block from your friend and slap your old heads after a valve job and good springs set up correctly for some sort of torque cam from EPS or by calling comp and getting it from them.

You don't absolutely need VVT it can get tuned out and you'll be all set.

Since you have all those miles a good melling high volume oil pump, better valve train, new water pump, along with new front and rear seals, and of course new gm replacement non vvt lifters of course.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by litle88
NO BAD IDEA AND DUMB!

He has no clue! You can't bore an L92 .60 over.

You can however use the Ls3 short-block from your friend and slap your old heads after a valve job and good springs set up correctly for some sort of torque cam from EPS or by calling comp and getting it from them.

You don't absolutely need VVT it can get tuned out and you'll be all set.

Since you have all those miles a good melling high volume oil pump, better valve train, new water pump, along with new front and rear seals, and of course new gm replacement non vvt lifters of course.
Actually it would be wise to use the longblock, not short block since the LS3 has the better valves but there the same casting. Also, since the truck is setup for VVT, its wise to keep it when you're looking at 30rwhp or so more down low than a typical cam, and you might sacrifice 10hp up top at most. Keeping the VVT is WELL worth it. Just gotta find someone who can tune it. Most won't/can't.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wtf.... .I'm assuming you meant .060 over.... even then wtf? The most you can go on a L92/LS3 block is .025..... and that's really pushing it.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 AM
10 Second Club

sould be a sick suv

Quick Reply: LS3 swapped escalade????