Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported LS3 manifold on bone stock LS3

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ported LS3 manifold on bone stock LS3

I had my intake manifold ported by a local shop(Cordes Performance Racing in Mesa Az). They wanted some data for a bone stock LS3, so I volunteered my 2011 C6. They covered labor costs and dyno time. I just paid for the ported intake if it picked up power. It did, so I paid them.

My car is a bit of an anomaly in that it is right about 400rwhp stock. My dyno a year ago was 404rwhp/399rwtq on a Dynojet with my Callaway CAI installed. We used a Dynapack today and baseline was 397.2rwhp and 402.8 rwtq with the stock LS3 air intake. Right after the baseline we put the ported intake on and dyno'd it again. 407.8rwhp and 410.9rwtq was the result.

We then put my Callaway back on and it was 413rwhp. For some reason it was pulling timing to 10* and ramping back up to 17* with the Callaway installed. It wasn't doing that with the stock air intake on the car. I don't know if it was heat soaked by that point or something with the Callaway causing the car to pull timing.

This was all done within about an hour and a half on the dyno with no tune changes. We noticed the mid range AFR went from 11.7 with the stock intake to 11.9 with the ported. At the top of the RPM range over 6000rpm they were both reading 12.2-12.3. I'm happy with the results as they can only get better as I further modify the car. It sure is a heck of a lot easier than putting an underdrive pulley on.

Next week I will be installing Pfadt headers, catless mid-pipe, and factory Z06 axleback. The car will be tuned by NicD of Phoenix Az. I'll post up those results in a separate thread.

Stock intake manifold and stock air intake vs. ported intake manifold and stock air intake. Stock GM tune.

Old dyno sheet with Callaway installed and stock GM tune:

Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM
AVB
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of doing this on my LS3. Two questions...

Wondering when you did the dyno without the callaway, was that done with stock intake?

Any noticeable SOTP difference?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AVB
Thinking of doing this on my LS3. Two questions...

Wondering when you did the dyno without the callaway, was that done with stock intake?

Any noticeable SOTP difference?

Thanks.
Dyno was done with LS3 air intake and stock manifold. Then LS3 air intake and ported manifold. That's the dyno sheet from UMS. After that was all done it was the Callaway and ported manifold. I think it pulls a bit harder now.

Last edited by TurboAv; 02-01-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting info.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Launching!

If you do not mind me asking,what was the cost of porting your intake? I am seriously considering porting my LS3 intake.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was $300 from the shop I used. I've seen pricing anywhere from $175-$300 depending on who does it. If you can get an intake cheap enough, you may want to try it yourself. I'm not that brave.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Magic pixie dust.....Ported intakes flow the same as stock. I have flowed too many "ported" intake" and have cut them into pieces looking for where to gain flow at. You bought a sales gimic as far as I'm concerned....If you can do a back to back at the track to show it is faster, then the surface friction from porting must make some magic air event to make it faster. Sorry, going to talk down to you about it because you posted what I know more about...There are far too many selling "ported" L76/LS3 intakes with dynos numbers that never show up at the track. It takes about 6 hours or more to make one flow better and show it on a timeslip. Funny how people are all about flow numbers when they buy aftermarket or ported heads but buy ported intakes because they are ported and they can dyno a better number for you. Card trick...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shop doing the dyno was an import tuner shop down the street from the shop that ported the manifold. I was standing there the whole time for the baseline runs and the after runs. We used an already ported intake that they just swapped while my car was sitting on the dyno. No tune adjustments were made. So I fail to see how this was pixie dust.

Last edited by TurboAv; 02-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Ported LS3 manifold on bone stock LS3