Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question

Last week, I bought a 2001 trans am firehawk. I ran the numbers and everything came back as a real firehawk, I couldn't be anymore ecstatic. There's only one problem.. The previous owner truly had no idea of a good exhaust set up. Here's what the car currently has: old design slp headers mated up to their catted y and choke master catback exhaust, poor firehawk. I need to change the exhaust, but I don't want to spend a lot of time or money changing it. From what I've read, there's not an ory that fits the first design slp headers, so my options are limited. Would It be worth it to change the entire exhaust including headers to get the full potential of hp, or just perhaps gut the cats, and throw a magna flow or dynomax muffler in place of the choke master muffler? Would it be counter productive to put an e-cutout after the cats? Like I said, I don't want to spend a ton of $$$$$ fixing the exhaust, but I don't want to leave hp on the table bc a cam and potentially a set of 243 ' s are going on the car before spring rolls around. What would you all do? Thanks guys!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were me and was going to do H/C anyway....

1. Find a GOOD exhaust shop and have a Y built. Flowmaster merge (cats, no cats, whatever)
2. Sell off the old SLP headers and go new (1-7/8)
3. New catback - Magnaflow or Corsa

Orrrr......go Kooks TDs which of course then you'd need their headers....a little more up front cost, but would be the last set-up you'd EVER need - call Maryland Speed for pricing===>
Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

I was actually thinking about going to an exhaust shop to see if they would fab up a y pipe for me. However, this could bring about some potential problems. Would they fab up an ory bc they're illegal? Would they use ss or aluminized metal? Cost issues, etc. I know these are questions I need to ask my local shop, but just haven't got around to it yet. (Crappy weather here in wv). Anyone ever take their ls1 to have a y pipe made at at local shop? Satisfied with the results? What size fm merge would I need?
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

OP, true duals from the Y pipe to dynomax bullets dumped before the axle. Sounds amazing.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question