Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e 500 crank horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e 500 crank horsepower

What are the weakest links in these trannys? 2nd gear took a dump in my 05 reg cab short bed lq4 l92 and im taking to my trans guy for a rebuild.
He's rebuilt thousands of them and he said its will hold up fine but who knows when a planet will explode.

anyhow

better clutches, add clutches to clutch pack?
what can be done with valve body? solenoids etc?
he's ganna rebuild it for 1000 to 1200 and for that i cant complain or want to convert to 4l80 yet so it is worth a shot
what converter is going to hold up best, or does anyone have one for sale? 32-3400 stall. with that high of stall do they still retain lock up like they should, is that going to tear anything up?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Teching In

You need a GM 5 pinion planetary for one (not aftermarket Chinese crap) Make sure sprag is good (GM) and a reinforced drum. bands are within tolerance. There is a few little tricks an experienced tranny man can do to make a few improvements. Tranny life is determined by temp, traction available, parts quality, cleanliness and someone with a brain to put it all together . Torque converter choice is determined mostly by your cam selection/torque curve, I run a 2800 lock-up behind a 530 hp LS...no problems
Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Depending on driving style expect to regularly be replacing 3rd and 4th gear at this power level.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 5 pinion planetary is pm the 4 pinion were forged. Of all the upgrades you could make that isn't one I would worry about. Sure Gm rated the 5 pinion to more HP but also less rpm.
I know high end builders offer it as an option but it is more an "all new parts" thing than actual strength.
Get a rebuild kit from someone like ProBuilt Automatics that builds these for 9 second cars and will give technical advise with parts purchase.
Be aware the 4l60e gets a bad rap, but mostly due to bad builders. Built well the 3-4 clutches can still be a wear point but with only 500hp I wouldn't worry.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The 5 pinion planetary is pm the 4 pinion were forged. Of all the upgrades you could make that isn't one I would worry about.........Be aware the 4l60e gets a bad rap, but mostly due to bad builders. Built well the 3-4 clutches can still be a wear point but with only 500hp I wouldn't worry.
Agreed.

Also, don't get hung up on the HP numbers. It's really the torque that's put through a tranny that causes damage. After that is RPMs and bad maintenance.

As long as you don't constantly stomp on the accelerator or rev it 'to the moon' (so to speak), you should be fine.

KW

Quick Reply: 4l60e 500 crank horsepower