Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

360 degree 4-2-1 headers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 degree 4-2-1 headers?

This is just speculation, not sure yet if i want to go through with it or just buy some tuned headers or the prebuilt 8-1.

I'm building an offroad lifted truck with unlimited engine space, so packaging is not a problem. I've got a 427 lsx thats about 10 percent built.

I was curious of the performance gains from doing a tri-y 180 degree header.

I figured that pairing every cylinder together that fires 360 degrees apart in the shortest possible way (under dry sump pan) and using a small collector volume would let the exhaust gasses create a better vacuum for better scavenging.

Then pairing the 4 collectors with their opposite firing collectors into 2 final collectors for the 180 degree scavenging effect.

My math says that the volume would be down 50% but flow would be the same which is what I've been told is best for flatplane (or 180 headers on crossplane) engine scavenging.

I've done a lot of research on 180 degree headers, and tri-y headers on 4-cylinder engines, and I'm still figuring best collector sizes and tube dimensions.

I'm going to be running everywhere from 1500-6500rpm and just want that little boost of low end torque to carry through the whole curve, but the flow I've heard about some 180 degree headers will be more than enough to support the high rpm too.

I am planning on mating all the primaries under the dry sump oil pan and pointing the final secondary tubes strait back and down.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on a project like this? New to this whole 180 degree header idea. Money and packaging are not an issue.

I also want to be a little different and the sound should be very unique.

Last edited by Mastaforga; 07-15-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another side note is the O2 sensors. I'll be running wideband O2 sensors with Holley Dominator EMS.

Would the 180 degree headers cause a problem with the tuning because the O2's will be measuring half of each bank instead of their own individual bank?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think the 180° design will negatively affect your wideband readings.

It's awesome that you brought up the tri-Y 180° design... I have been mulling over a tri-Y, stepped primary, 180° twin scroll set-up for a while now. On my design, all the pipes merge into a single divided T6 flange in front of the motor, though.

Quick Reply: 360 degree 4-2-1 headers?