Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast intakes vs MSD???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast intakes vs MSD???

Anyone done a true apples to apples compare yet, particularly the LS3 MSD one?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the ls3 one isnt out and likely will never be. msd claimed a couple weeks ago due to them not being able to provide siginificant gains over a stock ls3 intake they are suspending ls3 production..

even so though go look at the issues people have been having with the msd regarding fit quality and finish. i wouldnt touch one
Old 07-16-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with redbird, from eveything I've seen so far the Fast still appears to be the better choice at the moment
Old 07-16-2015, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The one test on an LS7 that was done at CMS it appears that the MSD has a slight edge. So if one was buying new I would probably favor the MSD for the LS7. If I already had a FAST it would not be worth it to change over to the MSD.

For the LS3 as stated it is not going to happen. As for the LS1 there is a thread on someone trying to bolt it on and getting some dyno time but is running into fitment problems. Maybe results Friday?

For me I am hoping that Vararam comes through.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I've been seeing lately regarding the MSD intakes, I believe I'll pass. There is a thread going on right now where a guy is having Speed Inc. install one, and it's been nothing short of a nightmare. The actual intake itself is majorly flawed from a manufacturing standpoint, and how that particular intake made it past quality control is beyond me.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch. Good to know. Thx!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

New test here:

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/
Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Interesting that the fast 78 made more power then the LS6, always thought the fast 78 and LS6 were on par with each other in other independent tests.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
Interesting that the fast 78 made more power then the LS6, always thought the fast 78 and LS6 were on par with each other in other independent tests.
FAST 78 was always more powerful....the larger 90 and 92's just get most of the attention due to more potential with the larger TB etc. (and subsequently the even larger FAST 102 design).

Wasn't aware that MSD officially pulled the plug on the LS3 version. That's the one intake it would appear GM did a very good job on. Lets see what Vararam ends up producing.....very different design so its a more interesting wait and see!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
FAST 78 was always more powerful....the larger 90 and 92's just get most of the attention due to more potential with the larger TB etc. (and subsequently the even larger FAST 102 design).

Wasn't aware that MSD officially pulled the plug on the LS3 version. That's the one intake it would appear GM did a very good job on. Lets see what Vararam ends up producing.....very different design so its a more interesting wait and see!

-Tony
Too bad they did not use a mamofied fast intake.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by spawne32
This is a myth that has existed on this forum since I joined. I've quoted Tony many times explaining the intake was worth most of the gains of a Fast 90mm and since they are often $400-500 and you can use the stock TB they are one hell of a bang for buck mod.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Fast 78 was acyually a bolt-on mod for me, paired with a Shaner S3 TB back when I had the Camaro. I loved that combo.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Part of MSD's ongoing issues. When they were acquired by Z Capitol, they operated as business as usual for a short while. Then when they acquired the Accel Group, the investment firm realized there is a significant amount of margin that can be gained by going off shore like the Accel and Mallory brands. Unfortunately, this is going to change what goes to market for MSD. Lots of programs on the chopping block. Spark plug wire product was already taken out of house and shipped elsewhere. I'm sure once they find the deal they want overseas, spark boxes are next. Z Capital is an investment company. They will flip this acquisition in a few years and leave a very solid brand in shambles. Its too bad.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Hoss
Part of MSD's ongoing issues. When they were acquired by Z Capitol, they operated as business as usual for a short while. Then when they acquired the Accel Group, the investment firm realized there is a significant amount of margin that can be gained by going off shore like the Accel and Mallory brands. Unfortunately, this is going to change what goes to market for MSD. Lots of programs on the chopping block. Spark plug wire product was already taken out of house and shipped elsewhere. I'm sure once they find the deal they want overseas, spark boxes are next. Z Capital is an investment company. They will flip this acquisition in a few years and leave a very solid brand in shambles. Its too bad.
Hi Brian,

Whilst I can't comment on the Corporate machinations involved, I can say that MSD were hopeless to deal with when I tried to purchase their new LS7 intake manifold.

The two guys I spoke to knew 'diddly squat' about the product and were very off hand so I gave them a wide berth, and from what I have since heard I am glad that I did.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quick Reply: Fast intakes vs MSD???