Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP/Flowmaster exhaust idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default SLP/Flowmaster exhaust idea

I get all the basics of 4th gen exhaust so no need to clue me in everything but....

I got a crazy deal on a Loudmouth 1 catback. I also have a set of Speed Engineering 1 7/8s Long tubes with off road y ready to go on.

So I have a setup ready to make good power but sound like A-hole. Rasp!!!!

I love the sound of Flowmasters, and have put their true duel setup on a couple of 1st gens. Series 40 mufflers of course.

My question is this - if I intall the headers, Y, and catback and THEN put single chamber flowmasters right before the exhaust tips what would it sound like? Hurt performance? Stupid? The LM1 is basically a wide open resonator, sound IM thinking that in conjunction with the flow singles might produce a sound that is not too raspy or loud and give me the tone Im after. Thoughts....
Old 09-30-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Why not just replace the lm1 with a flowmaster40?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call up flowmaster. They have a resonator chamber that fits right in the rear seat cubby hole in the floor pan. It was designed for the V6 cars but would probably solve your problem and fit very easily. Otherwise, you can run a single chamber flowmaster just before the tips. I would paint it with high temp black oven paint so that it will not be viseable. For the 1st muffler on the pass side you can tilt it and it will clear before the tip. You can put the 2nd muffler going to the driver's side tip in the stock muffler location.

In all honesty though, for the price that an LM1 would sell for and the cost of two new mufflers, you could simply buy a better exhaust set up. I personally love the sound of a true dual set up and it's hard to match the HP they provide as well.

Lonnie

Lonnie.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 09-30-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Why not just replace the lm1 with a flowmaster40?
One - I dont know if it will fit.

Two - I ran a non - cat exhaust with one series 40 on my 5.3 truck and it was stupid loud.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
Call up flowmaster. They have a resonator chamber that fits right in the rear seat cubby hole in the floor pan. It was designed for the V6 cars but would probably solve your problem and fit very easily. Otherwise, you can run a single chamber flowmaster just before the tips. I would paint it with high temp black oven paint so that it will not be viseable. For the 1st muffler on the pass side you can tilt it and it will clear before the tip. You can put the 2nd muffler going to the driver's side tip in the stock muffler location.

In all honesty though, for the price that an LM1 would sell for and the cost of two new mufflers, you could simply buy a better exhaust set up. I personally love the sound of a true dual set up and it's hard to match the HP they provide as well.

Lonnie

Lonnie.
Thanks, I know I can make the single chambers fit like you said. I'm concerned about sound and volume. Will the LM1 help tone things down if the exhaust runs through it first before hitting two single chamber flows?

And will it sound like a flowmaster exhaust?

And will those 2 additional single chambers do anything to help with rasp?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

??????

Quick Reply: SLP/Flowmaster exhaust idea