Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 crank pulley wobble/chirp

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS2 crank pulley wobble/chirp

I recently purchased a CGM 05 GTO A4 with 58k. I love the car, it runs awesome, but recently it started to make a belt sound. its a mild "chirp chirp chirp" but upon closer inspection i noticed the crank pulley/harmonic balancer has a slight wobble to it. it hasnt thrown a belt yet, but i was reading up and apparently it was an LS2 issue. I read all sorts of stuff about pulleys failing on Vettes in forums. Is this common for GTOs as well? It only has 58k, and i dont know if the serpentine system is drastically different from the Vettes but im sort of heartbroken about it. i dont really have the money to replace it so it will have to sit til i can, i dont want it coming off and screwing up the crank snout or something. as i understand its not keyed, its like a taper press fit? it doesnt look like a hard job, just limited work space. fans and radiator have to come out perhaps.

what are my options? i dont want to put another stock unit on if its going to fail again. the bolt doesnt seem to be loose, but from what ive read just re-torqueing it isnt a permanent fix anyways.

should i just buy an ATI one or is there a OEM updated one that doesnt suck? Is it worth just installing a SLP or similar underdrive? What is the consensus? I searched around and read about a few possibilities but wanted to hear from some guys who have had this issue. Thanks in advance guys
Old 11-25-2015, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Your GTO probably had an under-drive pulley and it was removed before the car was sold to you. It is an interference fit without a key, but you can't just leave it the way it is because it will damage the crankshaft snout. Did you check the bolt? Rockauto sells new harmonic balancers for about $45 and you also will need to buy a bolt; rent a puller/installer from Autozone. Grab a service manual because you will need it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bf4xvfch6...a/Uploads?dl=0

Quick Reply: LS2 crank pulley wobble/chirp