Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft/Harmonic Balancer Torque Specs

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Crankshaft/Harmonic Balancer Torque Specs

Installing a new balancer bolt. Torque specs I find list this:
  • Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (Installation Pass-to Ensure the Balancer is Completely Installed) 240 lb ft
  • Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (First Pass-Install a NEW Bolt After the Installation Pass and Tighten as Described in the First and Final Passes) 37 lb ft
  • Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (Final Pass) 140 degrees

Balancer never came off, so I don't need to do the 240.

But I'm confused about the final pass, 140 degrees. What does that mean?

I thought maybe it was a typo, but, found that on multiple instances of the specs from a Google search.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it means 140 degrees past torque spec. hit the torque spec requested
and then go an additional 140 degrees past that. you need a dial indicator,
or an electronic torque wrench to do that.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Make a mark on the bolt at the 12 O'clock position, chalk or crayon with do. 3 O'clock is 90 degrees. You need another 50 degrees to make 140. Turn the mark to just before the 5 O'clock position and you have it. The idea is to stretch be bolt so that it won't come lose. Torque to yield has proved to be a more accurate way of tightening bolts than just using a torque wrench. A dial meter is useful but really hard to use on this bolt.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for that.

Maybe I need to loosen and retighten. Before I had gotten the replies, I had tightened the heck out of it, having read the 240 when finished thing.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Launching!

I would replace the bolt and get it right. The bolt you have might break if you try to reuse it - they are designed to be used once and then discarded.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ewingr
Installing a new balancer bolt. Torque specs I find list this:
  • Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (Installation Pass-to Ensure the Balancer is Completely Installed) 240 lb ft
  • Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (First Pass-Install a NEW Bolt After the Installation Pass and Tighten as Described in the First and Final Passes) 37 lb ft
  • Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (Final Pass) 140 degrees

Balancer never came off, so I don't need to do the 240.

But I'm confused about the final pass, 140 degrees. What does that mean?

I thought maybe it was a typo, but, found that on multiple instances of the specs from a Google search.

This ASE Jeff you do not need to replace the bolt and do not torque to 240 ft lbs or you will either snap the bolt, or strip the crank its 75 Ft Lbs NO MORE look at picture below this a typical HM balancer bolt and spacer you hit that with 240 ft lbs.... well you get the idea. If yor balancer is ticking, some older models had bolts mounted in rubber almost as id it was two pieces the bolts go around the outside cricumference of older balancer. if those are slightly loose they can cause a "tick". no torque spec just wrist tight snug will stop the tick

Quick Reply: Crankshaft/Harmonic Balancer Torque Specs