Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air to Oil Cooling Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Air to Oil Cooling Radiators

I am installing an Ls7 engine into a Kappa (Solstice/Sky). Due to space constraints (header interference), I had to ditch the OEM water-to-oil cooler. To avoid dissipating the heat of a front mounted air-to-oil cooler into the water/condenser radiators, I have opted to install two smaller oil cooling radiators behind the fascia. The turbo exp Solstice has some very convenient grilles next to the parking lights.

I am concerned about all that volume of hoses and radiators outside the engine, now part of the oil circulatory system. Should I be?

My Nissan 300zx has an external oil cooler but only a portion of the circulation is routed into the cooler.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run all -8 (1/2") stainless tubing I bent, myself.
My IROC

I don't mean for the next para to sound like a plug, but I like what it does and offer it as info. (The parts are ordered but not received yet)

Be mindful that you could provide too much cooling to the oil. From what I have read, your oil temp should stay at or around 180 degree's once the engine is warm.
Improved Racing does offer an LS adapter (if your not aware) off the block that has a thermostat built into it to regulate oil temp.
I believe that it also has an output to run a gauge as well.
I'm setting my IROC with this config.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Default Tube Diameter

Looking at Ls motors that have air/oil cooling, the hard lines going forward seem to be 1/2 inch OD. Great project your are working on! Please post pictures when you have the system assembled.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

I ordered ACDelco 20828695, I thought I was going to use it but in the end I wasted the money.
Yes, btw they are 1/2", but the rear line hits my headers and in trying to "force/bend" the line it kinked and restricted my inside diameter in the bend and it was still too close to the header for comfort.
I will get some photos of the new setup once I have it complete, it may be a few weeks yet before I get back to that.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Default Ls factory air/oil cooler lines

I thought of using those. The seemed to me that could fit with my headers but it was the pass through to the front that worried me. Accessory group is diff and cross member is diff. I chose rubber lines wrapped in foil by me from a roll. "Y" fittings to send the oil in two directions. Selected coolers are Earl's brand 4 x 2 x 11 which are on the small size needed for fitment. Bigger ones (or just 1) could be installed with some steel bracket modifications. This is in the are in front of the front tires and near the frame. Car is not unibody.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

It wouldn't let me attach in the PM.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Smile

These are front views of the engine in the car. The Kappa has a welded on cross member. Using the accessory group as shown does not leave much room for the OEM oil cooler tubes to pass forward. The water-to-oil cooler can be seen in the back on the middle picture. That is gone to clear the headers. Using a similar device as in the top picture. Now.., if I can find a place for the oil cooling radiators...

Last edited by JMartz; 12-06-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Wow! With that alternator sitting where it is, your only option is to run with the oil pan (lower than what the stock does). Possibly drop them under the motor mount and have them exit right below the alternator. Or make a couple of brackets (90'd and mounted to the oil pan bolts) to hold the hoses in place???
Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Why not just skip the oil cooler? I took mine off and the car could not be happier. If the car isn't going to be roadraced, or subjected to sustained 20+ minute sessions of hard driving, I find no cooler works great. My car makes 1200+rwhp and is a daily driver, highway, 1/4, 1/2 mile car. Never seen oil temps over 220, and they typically just hover at 190-200 about 10F over the water temps. With the cooler they would be 140 and take 20+ minutes of driving to get up there. Was super annoying since I didn't want to beat on it with low oil temp.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Are you guys needing to put high volume pumps on engines with big external coolers?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Unreal.., the thought has crossed my mind. The engine is an Ls7 which has an additional step to install; a remote reservoir. This will provide additional cooling.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

My motor is also a dry sump. When I rather a modded ls7 or a iron block LSX at 1200+hp both run better with no oil cooler. No need to cool oil that doesn't get hot.

Quick Reply: Air to Oil Cooling Radiators