Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$175 for poly MM install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $175 for poly MM install?

so im going to be putting headers on in near the future, i was also going to be putting on poly motor mounts in while im there. ive been reading and reading some more and alot of people say its a pain in the butt, actually pretty much everyone says it is. so for ***** and giggles i went to my local mechanic to see how much he would charge. i told him what i wanted done and he told me he'd give me a call back the next day. he called me up the next day and he told me he would charge 175 to do it, i was thrown off by how cheap it was. i started to ask him that he knows that it entails taking the clamshells and riveting them out and etc., and he cut me off short saying yes i know ive been doing this 30 years and i know all about it. so i said alright ill go ahead and order the prothane mounts and get it to you, and said okay. now in his defense, he HAS been doing this for 30 plus years, and he DOES do good work or i wouldnt take my car to him, he HAS done work for me so he knows my car, he DOES warranty his work. So i guess what im really saying/asking is, is he gonna hate me after he gets in there and sees what all is really going to be done? and do i feel sorry for him? i tried to say what all it was going to entail but he is a very confident person and i think he gets slightly offended when i try to explain. but truth be told i dont really think he needs explanations. im just weird like that.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if he quoted you that price and understands what it involves, let him do it and be at peace with yourself.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Teching In

thats the thing, i dont really know if he does know excatly what it entails, i think he knows he will have to jack up the engine and unbolt the mounts, slide em out, drill out the rivets, put the poly in and put them back, i dont think he knows that hell have to take off the alternator, ac compressor, undo the battery, intake and all that jazz, then have hell fire trying to line up the mounts the get the trough bolt in. lol
idk we'll see. i think he'll be very hesitant to do other "performance" mods for me after this.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Motor mounts arent bad when youre a competent mechanic. You think its cheap because its a daunting task to you. You arent a confident experienced mechanic. The voice of reason has spoken.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I never took off my alternator or intake. I loosened the a/c compressor and steering shaft. him using a lift would be a huge plus. also since you're supplying the parts $175 for just labor is about 2.5 hours.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Motor mounts arent bad when youre a competent mechanic. You think its cheap because its a daunting task to you. You arent a confident experienced mechanic. The voice of reason has spoken.
lol suppose you're right, ive done clutch swaps, cam swaps, you name it, but for some reason this does seem like a daunting task to me. either way id gladly pay someone 175 for a task everyone seems to be pouring at least hours and hours of time and thrown wrenches into. but come on, 175? i would think thats cheap regardless who you are. perks of being in a small town i guess.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Do the mounts when you do the headers and save your money......unless you're scared
Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by leftysrepsol
Do the mounts when you do the headers and save your money......unless you're scared
Thats my thoughts, and being around here as long as i have its generally the most suggested thing. Having them out of the way makes header installs easier as well (or vice versa). They really do go hand in hand.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by fst100
if he quoted you that price and understands what it involves, let him do it and be at peace with yourself.
This!

My 91 RS needed a fuel pump one time. My mechanic much like yours said $150 labor. At the time everyone else was saying $400 to $500 in labor. I said are you sure, he laughed and said there are some tricks of the trade.

His trick of the trade was me swinging like a monkey of the exhaust to pull it down while he did the swap The exhaust didn't have to be removed and installed. His skinny hands could get in with out dropping the gas tank all the way.

Quick Reply: $175 for poly MM install?