Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stroked lq4 leaking oil and coolant at back 2 oil pan bolts (long ones)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroked lq4 leaking oil and coolant at back 2 oil pan bolts (long ones)

As stated above. I have about 3500 miles or so on the 416 lq4 build. When swapped had some issues so I needed to pull oil pan off before I even had it running. Anyways I've had a leak since day one but have been busy and just toping it off. Also looks like starter bolts were leaking oil as well. Tonight pulled the two back long pan bolts off and the starter bolts and all 4 had obvious oil and almost certain some coolant. Cleaned em, RTV'd em and bolted the ***** back together. It runs great, I've changed the oil 4 times now. Doesn't seam to have coolant in oil when changed. No signs of oil on dipstick, and haven't had to top off coolant. Any ideas? I'm going to start paying more attention to my coolant levels over the next few days as well as oil. Figured I'd ask. THANKS!
Old 08-07-2017, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I read a thread not long ago about leaking at the back two bolts and there was mention of the order in which you install your covers pulling the pan forward a little if done out of order. Only mentioned oil though, if you are seeing on the back side your steam vent ports on the back of the head could be leaking, or your heater core on the firewall. I actually forgot to put my steam port gaskets on when I did my swap so it hissed and bubbled out at the steam ports. Didnt leak enough to matter, but I could smell it. Bitch of it was I had to pull the intake manifold off to do the steam ports.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got all the leaky bolts to stop leaking accept the the two back long ones. I wasn't able to clean them well and I'm hoping that's why they still leak and that it's not the rear main. Steam ports are good, dry at the top, front and rear. But... summers winding down here in WI so Im just gonna keep plugging her full and driving it hardI'll deal with it this winter along with some other work I intend on doing. I made a mark on my coolant reservoir, it's not leaking, burning or anything. So I'm no longer worried. Good enough for now!

Quick Reply: stroked lq4 leaking oil and coolant at back 2 oil pan bolts (long ones)