Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger i-1 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Procharger i-1 question

I’m seeing a Procharger i-1 in my future. I had a PD supercharger on my last engine and liked the immediate off throttle response of the PDSC but was disappointed with the diminishing return at the top end and the heat gain. A CSC doesn’t have these drawbacks but doesn’t have the immediate off throttle response either.

The Procharger i-1 seems to have an answer for the low end but I am wondering what max power it can support.

For those that are running a Procharger i-1 or have knowledge of one in use, what is the max power that can be produced from an LS engine using one? LS3 or LS7 information preferred but info for any aluminum block LS would be useful.

Procharger says that it is similar to a P-1SC-1 or D-1SC but that covers quite a bit of ground, 825 and 925 HP maximum respectively.

Assume, no NO2, no Methane, any cam, long tube headers, CAI, hi-flow cats or no cats, x-pipe, any cat back system, moderately improved heads (ported but not extremely so), roller rockers, any valve springs and a professional tune, 91 octane gas.

A compressor map for the i-1 would be cool too.

Thanks for the info!

Steve

Last edited by SteveJewels; 09-25-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard 750+ on some i 1 builds. This question is better suited for the FI forum.

If you are trying preserve a stock bottom end then I like the i-1. If you are talking about 800 + HP then I would assume you are going with forged pistons etc.,
I can tell you this from experience:

I had a small PD blower ( MP 112) before I went with the ProCharger F1A. You listed the pitfalls already so I'll leave that alone. The concept of weak low end response doesn't apply when you are pushing 12 lbs or so. If you are seeking say 8 lbs peak (to keep a stock bottom end from becoming a Granade), then you will experience a slower ramp to the TQ curve however, it is still plenty for a street car. What I am saying is, at the higher peak boost with a centri (12lbs + ) then you will have a boatload of TQ down low & it keeps pulling till you can't stand it anymore. It sounds like you don't need me to remind you that a centri builds boost ( produces TQ) in a linear format compared to a PD which comes in quick & hard. But ...... When you are set up for higher boost the centri hits just as hard down low.
Take a look at my TQ curve. Keep in mind I'm at 15lbs. It's a monster at 2,500 rpm & demonic by 3k. Even at 10-12 lbs you will have all you desire.

The following users liked this post:
SteveJewels (06-08-2020)
Old 09-28-2017, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the helpful and informative reply NitrOmm. You answered questions that I didn’t even know to ask. Apparently sizing a CSC and matching its characteristics to an engine in considerably more involved than I had understood. I had wondered why there were so many CSCs listed on the ProCharger site that seemed to have only minor differences. Back to school for me.

What do the two dyno runs belong to?
Old 09-30-2017, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The blue is my previous build: LS2 6.0 (364).
The red is my new build: LS3 stroked (416), same cam & heads.

Re: CSC sizing: Take a peak at this video.

There is another video that follows this one if you need more info.
Truth is that it's not that complicated when you & I are speaking about a street car with relatively low boost. It gets more complicated when you are looking for max power track applications. Most guys are utilizing the D and F serries and find that it is very flexable between low and moderate boost levels.

My point above was to bring attention to the under the curve power that does greatly exist with CSC. Granted, a PD has it in spades but, don't let that be your only deciding factor when choosing between the different SC systems out there.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve,
I ran in to your thread here as a person who has an procharger i1 on my 2013 camaro for 2 years now.
It's been great until very recently when the CVT system/electric motor failed on me. Luckily I had the extended warranty but my confidence level is low and so far Procharger are not being helpful at all at boosting my confidence level. Let alone the fact that I was requested to spend many hours in due diligence before they would allow and RMA, this resulted in 900$ of labor and parts costs for me.

If you're looking for big power, don't go for it. If you're looking for a daily driver with boost flexibility then consider the i1 although it's pretty much the same as a PDSC. The cost is high though. Given the reliability in my subjective experience I would rather go for a direct drive standard impeller next time. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it until it broke and it's fun to have the flexibility of virtually no boost/wear VS full on competitive mode maximum boost at all curves but I'm personally not confident of how it will hold up. Could have just hit a lemon but customer service had much to be desired, as mentioned.

Originally Posted by SteveJewels
I’m seeing a Procharger i-1 in my future. I had a PD supercharger on my last engine and liked the immediate off throttle response of the PDSC but was disappointed with the diminishing return at the top end and the heat gain. A CSC doesn’t have these drawbacks but doesn’t have the immediate off throttle response either.

The Procharger i-1 seems to have an answer for the low end but I am wondering what max power it can support.

For those that are running a Procharger i-1 or have knowledge of one in use, what is the max power that can be produced from an LS engine using one? LS3 or LS7 information preferred but info for any aluminum block LS would be useful.

Procharger says that it is similar to a P-1SC-1 or D-1SC but that covers quite a bit of ground, 825 and 925 HP maximum respectively.

Assume, no NO2, no Methane, any cam, long tube headers, CAI, hi-flow cats or no cats, x-pipe, any cat back system, moderately improved heads (ported but not extremely so), roller rockers, any valve springs and a professional tune, 91 octane gas.

A compressor map for the i-1 would be cool too.

Thanks for the info!

Steve
Old 11-11-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Procharger's customer service always seems to be in question SMH.

Quick Reply: Procharger i-1 question