Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer replaced twice in a year. Worry?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic Balancer replaced twice in a year. Worry?

I have a 2007 Cadillac CTS-V (LS2) that I've almost had for a year now

Bought from a Chevy dealer and did pay for a third party warranty because it's my only car and did not know a whole lot about wrenching at the time. Early on I experienced a squeaking noise on cold starts because I bought in the winter it was pronounced. Would go away after 5 minutes of driving and would have to be dead cold to start again. The Dealership said it was the harmonic balancer so my warranty paid for the repair but I had to pay for the new belts in May. Now that winter came along the squeak was back! And seemed worse than before. I turned it in and they said it was the balancer again. The positive thing was the part had a GM warranty so it was $0 cost this time. However they took 2 days to work on it and said GM's part warranty doesn't provide a loaner car which was extremely inconvenient, but it did solve the issue and it's dead silent on 30 degree mornings. Anyway my main concern was if there might be something more concerning possibly going on? What would happen if I just let this inconvenient squeak continue?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems to me I heard of balancer problems on Corvettes of that era. They started to visibly wobble. Most people were replacing them with aftermarket balancers as even the factory replacements went bad.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Piggy backing off of what farmington said I found out about balancer issues on Vettes from that time frame when I was researching balancers myself for my truck but I'm sure the issues were happening to CTS-V's as well;

Like farmington said a few switched to a ATI or IW balancer to "solve" the problem.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

or Powerbond balancers
Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
or Powerbond balancers
I did one on an 05 LS2 vette 60k miles. Stocker was wobbling bad. Believe it was a Powerbond pulley I replaced it with, $75 at Oreillys & looked factory. Still running my stock original LS1 pulley on 6.2 motor I built
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

If it's not ATI, it doesn't go on my car.
The following users liked this post:
ls1 1990 VN (02-23-2020)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to put a Fluidampr on my car. I just happened to catch a deal on a blem ATI on Ebay for $250. For some reason I don't think the LS6 variants had the issue. Mine had 170k on it when replaced and it wasn't bad. I was just chasing vibration issues which it didn't solve.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
If it's not ATI, it doesn't go on my car.
Originally Posted by BudRacing
I wouldn't hesitate to put a Fluidampr on my car. I just happened to catch a deal on a blem ATI on Ebay for $250. For some reason I don't think the LS6 variants had the issue. Mine had 170k on it when replaced and it wasn't bad. I was just chasing vibration issues which it didn't solve.
I've got a few friends who chased the dampener causing false knock, etc. ATI fixed it in all cases. That was on LS6, LS2, and LS3
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Innovator West Pulley is also a choice.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a SLP under drive that caused my engine to "see" knock and pull timing!! Chased it along time and spent lotsa money before I figured it out..
Old 01-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mordis
Piggy backing off of what farmington said I found out about balancer issues on Vettes from that time frame when I was researching balancers myself for my truck but I'm sure the issues were happening to CTS-V's as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIy7gF-4Z2o

Like farmington said a few switched to a ATI or IW balancer to "solve" the problem.
So I have a 2007 CTS-V and this is the exact noise I’ve been dealing with for a couple of months. I’ve replaced both the tensioner and the water pump, the crank pulley seems to be the only culprit left... the final boss lol

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer replaced twice in a year. Worry?