Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 intake adequate for a cammed LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Default C5 intake adequate for a cammed LS3?

Gearing up to do an LS3/L92 swap in my 2000 C5 and need advice on an intake that won't be a restriction for the cam/bolt on 6.2, but also won't be a nightmare to tune.

Will the stock 2000 MAF and ducting restrict the engine that badly? Currently I have a dual cone intake in front of the stock MAF but can also use a Zip Tie modded stock duct if need be.

I had a 4" intake pipe on my 6.0 BMW running a small cam and an Express Van PCM and it was a bear to tune, according to my tuner.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
Gearing up to do an LS3/L92 swap in my 2000 C5 and need advice on an intake that won't be a restriction for the cam/bolt on 6.2, but also won't be a nightmare to tune.

Will the stock 2000 MAF and ducting restrict the engine that badly? Currently I have a dual cone intake in front of the stock MAF but can also use a Zip Tie modded stock duct if need be.

I had a 4" intake pipe on my 6.0 BMW running a small cam and an Express Van PCM and it was a bear to tune, according to my tuner.

I'm right behind you with the LS3 swap. I went with a ls7 stock induction system and cartridge style MAF sensor Ls2 TB in favor of stock set up. Going to be about a month before I get to a tuner. Keep us imformed....my gut says big restriction stock C5 set up.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Hall tech C5 BeeHive LS7 card style intake for sure, and cut out the
license plate area out of the front bumper if you can stomach that aesthetically,
and get away with that with the local gendarmes.
Otherwise ditch the dual snorkel and go VaraRam.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

you going OE ls3 intake and throttle body?

My 414 l92 headed setup is using the 85MM maf, but im also on the 98 ecm. Didnt have issues and while im sure there is still some power on the table with my setup. The cost benefit of it wasnt really there considering what im going for with the car. I was pretty happy with my numbers in the end and I make a lot of torque down low, swapping intakes could change that on my setup with the cam I have. Not exactly apples to apples given the airbox difference bewteen the two, but thats my experience on it. In other words yeah your leaving some on the table but probably not enough to be concerned with unless you are going for absolute max results.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
you going OE ls3 intake and throttle body?

My 414 l92 headed setup is using the 85MM maf, but im also on the 98 ecm. Didnt have issues and while im sure there is still some power on the table with my setup. The cost benefit of it wasnt really there considering what im going for with the car. I was pretty happy with my numbers in the end and I make a lot of torque down low, swapping intakes could change that on my setup with the cam I have. Not exactly apples to apples given the airbox difference bewteen the two, but thats my experience on it. In other words yeah your leaving some on the table but probably not enough to be concerned with unless you are going for absolute max results.
Yes, stock LS3 intake, injectors, and silver blade LS2 throttle body. No porting on anything, bone stock.

Maybe I'll look into some sort of aftermarket C6 intake such as the Halltech. I just don't want to induce a bunch of tuning headaches by going with a different MAF.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

I've got the Holly 90mm cable throttle body on mine. All stock I'll think you will be fine with the 85mm maf and not really need to bother with the card style. Probably won't be leaving much on the table either.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I've got the Holly 90mm cable throttle body on mine. All stock I'll think you will be fine with the 85mm maf and not really need to bother with the card style. Probably won't be leaving much on the table either.
Thanks for your input. Keep in mind, I have the "base" LS1 and not the Z06 LS6, which had the 85mm MAF. I think mine is a 78mm?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I thought you had a z? I might bump up to the 85mm, you can lay the oe Cal in as a starting point at the beginning of the tune. As long you are still using the ls1 ecm shouldn't be to complicated. I think the issues seen with the 4 " and carded setup is idle and driveability is difficult to nail NA. Your setup need to be capable of .consuming lot of air volume Not knowing a whole lot about your previous setup admittedly. I actually wanted to run speed density on mine but.my base tune was screwed so I had no choice but the 85mm . I sent my ecm off for a base tune and it came back with hardly any changes. They didn't even put the injector scale I wanted in. When I couldn't get it to start we popped the mad off my 5.3 Silverado on it and blipped for the first time. So if my 98 ecm can handle my setup the 99 and ups are actually a little better. All assuming you are converting the ls3 to run your ls1 ecm and harness.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2000 Fixed Roof coupe, which is the Z06 body without the LS6. It's the same LS1 as a standard base coupe in 2000.

Quick Reply: C5 intake adequate for a cammed LS3?