Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help-Drysump(aftermarket)+ and AC compressor

Old 06-13-2018, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Default Need Help-Drysump(aftermarket)+ and AC compressor

Guys, could use alil help on this one. I cant believe how difficult this is becoming, search after search... but is this Possible? Does a factory or aftermarket FEAD(Front End Accessory Drive) system exist to accommodate a TRUE aftermarket Drysump system and an AC compressor? This is an LS7 427ci build, using a standard deck RHS block, Mast black Label heads, Carbon XR intake. All going in my 65' pro touring nova. Drivers side is already spoken for between the power steering pump and alternator. There isn't room for anything else really.

The problem im having is most aftermarket dry sump kits like ARE, Dailey, etc place the pump down low on the passenger side where the AC compressor goes. They typically use a cog set up with the ATI dampner. So it stands to reason that the AC compressor now has to get moved to the passenger side cylinder head area and becomes a part of the 6 or 8 rib FEAD. I ve found a few systems that do just that, but they DO NOT use the ATI dampner, which id need to run the cog gear for the drysump. I ve called a few places already and typically get the "Our set up don't do that! Aint sure what other guys offer!" I could make this all work with factory LS7 drysump, but its got nothing on going aftermarket so to speak.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Racemate has some pulley options for their alternator, They might have fought this dragon before?

Most dry sump pumps have an output on the rear, usually used for Power steering and fuel pump drive..
The pump should run most saginaw boxes just fine..
So maybe replace the power steering pump if its low with the dry sump backed by a power steering pump.
You will need a remote tank for power steering fluid..
Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have one that I made work...

I have an older Wegner system, the predecessor to this one:

https://goo.gl/images/9wMcRU

Here is a shot of the dampener / dry sump pump:

To make the system work, I needed a custom mount for the ATI dampener. I called Dailey (dry sump supplier) and discussed options. He helped me find the ATI hub mount that has the cog gear pulley needed to drive the pump. I'm pretty sure he told me that ATI made this piece specifically to work with his setups, but honestly it's been a couple of years and I don't remember the details.

Now, once I had the new dampener hub mount, my crank pulley no longer worked (it was too deep and the new mount moved the dampener itself out from the block). So I needed a new pulley solution. Enter Jones Racing. They offer a mount which bolts to the dampener and uses a spacer with drive pins to mount the pulley itself. Here is where I had to do a little work... I took a bunch of measurements and determined what the depth of the spacer to locate the pulley needed to be. Jones offers a variety of these spacer parts. Once I got mine and took measurements, I had my machine shop mill down the thickness of the spacer to correctly locate the pulley for alignment. You can see most of the parts in the image above.

So this is certainly not a turn key solution with off the shelf parts. But I was able to take my existing system and modify it to make it work by talking to the various vendors. It combines pieces from 4 vendors (Wegner, ATI, Dailey, Jones Racing) and a little bit of machine work on a lathe. But it has worked great for me!

Good luck, hope this helps some to let you know it can be done.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

I don’t see why you couldn’t use a Holley FEAD with the passenger side high mounted a/c compressor, and then hit up Aviaid for one of their dry sump setups. They offer the cog belt to run off of the front of the balancer, or behind the balancer, whichever you’d like, with passenger side block mounted pump. Call them directly and they can build you exactly what you need, not just what’s offered on their website.

Last edited by Che70velle; 06-14-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: i can’t spell...
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet, some good ideas. Thanks guys. I ll make some calls
Old 06-14-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Carbuff, im half in the middle of a similiar plan...it seems pretty doable with some slight aftermarket bracket mods
Old 06-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the Dailey Dry Sump with the ATI balancer. It aligned well with the "Dirty Dingo" FEAD but......there's always a but. I did have several issues on the track with my belt just shredding so i'm looking for new options. Street use never had an issue but during road race condition and trips to 7K RPM I think there's too much "unsupported" belt between crank and idler pullies....just mey .02

Need Help-Drysump(aftermarket)+ and AC compressor-uf7f2b1.jpg

I was looking at the new Holley FEAD mid mount. Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't the six rib pulley bolt on the ATI pulley?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Good question, i ve decided to just stick with a stockish ls7 drysump set and a factory front drive. It was just adding up to quick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help-Drysump(aftermarket)+ and AC compressor