Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks: chambered vs. straight thru PICTURES ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I swapped my SLP system to a GMMG (chambered, of course). The sound is exactly as you indicated you desire. I like the chamber sound so much, I had 2 x 2.5" x 30" chambers put on my F 350/V10...now it almost sounds like a V8!

Every time I start/drive my car, I smile...as many have come up to me and said, "Now that's the way a Chevy should sound!"

As I said, FWIW...
Old 09-03-2018, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
Sound clip ?

Skip down to post # 14 to hear a short clip. When I get it in the road, I will post one going through the gears. It may be awhile yet, need to finish the interior and get it tuned...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...deo-added.html

Last edited by lowcountry; 09-03-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great job on exhaust. Beautiful car!
Old 09-03-2018, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Great job on exhaust. Beautiful car!
Mucho Gracias.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I wish I had known about those. I would have tried to fit them on my TDs... Might still try to fit them. LOL
Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

+1

I fitted flowmaster DBX, which helped a LOT vs the kooks bullets. Was NOT easy, lol, since the DBX are 4" longer vs the kooks bullets. I'm now considering putting some spirals in the long run between the X and the mufflers to break up the drone.

I'm getting to the point of rigging up something like the later C6 vettes have with the dual mode exhaust. it only pushes 700 HP at WOT. Cruising, it don't need the flow. I think ultimately, you end up at dual mode if you want to have your cake and eat it too.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
Out of curiosity, how much are these "high end" mufflers? What are their dimensions and how many chambers? I've never heard of them.
The dimensions are 5 1/4" x 8" oval x 12" long. Forgot to ask about the chamber design...
Old 09-08-2018, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcountry
The dimensions are 5 1/4" x 8" oval x 12" long. Forgot to ask about the chamber design...
These dims are almost identical to my magnflows ( which translates to) I may give them a try.
They sound great at idle. I always preferred the sound of chambered. I can’t complain about the magnafows other than they kill the crackle at idle & completely remove any sign of rasp (which I for one like like when it’s not the overwhelming first thing you hear). Looking forward to more sound clips.

Not it sure if you mentioned it, how is the drone at cruise & is it crazy loud in general ? (as many of have experienced with the TD system).
Old 09-08-2018, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
+1

I fitted flowmaster DBX, which helped a LOT vs the kooks bullets. Was NOT easy, lol, since the DBX are 4" longer vs the kooks bullets. I'm now considering putting some spirals in the long run between the X and the mufflers to break up the drone.

I'm getting to the point of rigging up something like the later C6 vettes have with the dual mode exhaust. it only pushes 700 HP at WOT. Cruising, it don't need the flow. I think ultimately, you end up at dual mode if you want to have your cake and eat it too.
I put a set of QTP low profile electric cut outs on my other toy, love it. Cruising is still a Cadillac ..... then Dr. Jeckel ( I meant Mr. Hyde), comes out with the hit of a button.

OP: I forgot to mention, beautiful job on your build !

Last edited by NitrOmm; 09-08-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Mr. Hyde

Quick Reply: Kooks: chambered vs. straight thru PICTURES ADDED