Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks: chambered vs. straight thru PICTURES ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kooks: chambered vs. straight thru PICTURES ADDED

I did a fairly decent search and could not find a good answer...

I am getting ready to take my LSX (711 N/A FWHP) 70 Camaro to Kooks to have a 3" ss exhaust installed from the headers back to an x- pipe and out over the axles.
Kooks offers three mufflers, a round and an oval straight through design, and a chambered muffler "not advertised on our website" for "high end builds".

The question: Does anyone have any experience using both their straight through and chambered design? What I want is an aggressive sound, but able to hold a conversation while cruising, and raise the dead at WOT. They are telling me that the chambered version is what I want. I don't mind giving up a little HP to achieve that goal, but not sure how much that is..

Mucho Gracias.

Last edited by lowcountry; 08-08-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Straight through is terrible.

I swapped out the Kooks bullets for Dynomax Ultraflows... and it was still too loud.

Took the whole damn exhaust off. It sounded awesome, but was unlivable for driving the car around in traffic or with the stereo on or to hold a conversation.

I have dynomat in the car and it was still 85db cruising around and 75-80 at idle. 85 is where hearing loss start to occur when prolonged exposure happens. Idle was over 100db outside the car. WOT was 130.

So no. Use the chambered muffler.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Straight through is terrible.

I swapped out the Kooks bullets for Dynomax Ultraflows... and it was still too loud.

Took the whole damn exhaust off. It sounded awesome, but was unlivable for driving the car around in traffic or with the stereo on or to hold a conversation.

I have dynomat in the car and it was still 85db cruising around and 75-80 at idle. 85 is where hearing loss start to occur when prolonged exposure happens. Idle was over 100db outside the car. WOT was 130.

So no. Use the chambered muffler.
Thanks for the response. Any idea about how much power loss using the chambered vs. thru design?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

With dual 3" I don't think it'd be much if any. That supports a lot more than 700HP with straight pipe. So even if you lost some flow, you have headroom.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Guess I'll give it a shot. Thanks again for the input...
Old 07-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, how much are these "high end" mufflers? What are their dimensions and how many chambers? I've never heard of them.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
Out of curiosity, how much are these "high end" mufflers? What are their dimensions and how many chambers? I've never heard of them.
Good questions. I don't know the answers yet...

I have been communicating with this guy at Kooks for over a year - been waiting on me to get through with everything else on the car. Called him a few weeks ago and said I was ready and was asking him about which muffler I should get after explaining my wants/concerns. That's when he told me about these "other" mufflers, that aren't advertised. I have been waiting on him to call me back with a date to bring the car in (sure are slow). I will find out the details then...
Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lowcountry
I will find out the details then...
Perfect thanks!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
so you wouldn't go to kook's website to see for yourself, so you'll ask someone who knows very little more then you for a tutorial?
Old 07-18-2018, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cmysix
so you wouldn't go to kook's website to see for yourself, so you'll ask someone who knows very little more then you for a tutorial?
Oh dang, I should have asked you first! You could have then directed me to Kook's website where the OP clearly stated these particular mufflers are "not available on the website". Which I did search around for myself before asking. Guess what, they aren't listed on their website, and a short Google returned no info on them also. So I asked a gentleman who is most likely buying the mufflers more about them. Seems logical to me and probably 90% of everyone else. I suggest you take your own advice before you post thread-bumping negative nonsense. You do not know my amount of knowledge, nor do I know yours. I've never understood the reasoning behind taking the same amount of time and effort to post in an attempt to bash or belittle someone versus a friendly answer. What happened to the brotherhood?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm curious about these as well... i'm looking to replace two Corsa mufflers and currently i've chosen straight through magnaflows. a little worried it might not be enough lol even with 2 dynomax bullets the Corsa mufflers are too loud

sub'd for results!
Old 07-22-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the Kooks three inch duals which uses their bullet mufflers or straight through as you call them.

Personally, I love them. Very nice, deep tone and it's not bad cruising around. Good part is you can really hear it at wot!

Never used Kooks chambered mufflers, but from my experience with other brands is a chambered muffler mellows out when at cruising speed... not rattling your teeth out. Much more docile.

So it is really what you prefer... noise all the time, or noise part of the time. With that much power it's going to have some volume either way you go.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cmysix
You're a dick head... read the thread for yourself and maybe you'll see the er of your ways.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Update: So I dropped my Camaro off at the Kooks R&D campus today to have my exhaust installed. To answer the question of the mysterious "chambered" muffler, it is not offered to the "general public". For whatever reason (and if I can remember I'll ask when I go back to pick up my car) this muffler is only installed on their "in house" projects that they work on. They offered them to me since I was one of their "projects". I do know that they are much more expensive that what is offered online...

So, one of the "projects" that they just got in the shop along with mine is the 89 Mustang that "chuck" of the show "street outlaws" races. They brought in in all the way from Oklahoma. Go figure.

My Camaro should be ready in a few days. I will post some pictures. I would like to say though, that the team at Kooks is top notch. Their knowledge and attention to detail is over the top and well worth the extra $. There were at least six people, technicians, installers, and engineers who mingled around my car to discuss options and comments about my project. Made me feel like they really cared...
Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Wow that's all cool. I hope that your car ends up sounding amazing and that you love it. Sounds like most of us will never end up with our hands on those mufflers though.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Got my Camaro back from Kooks today. Awesome people and great job.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:22 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish Kooks would just switch everything to V-Bands. I had the Pfadt Vette system and alignment was a breeze, with NO LEAKS.

Exhaust looks great, OP.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I visited Kooks last year, great facility & the family run business is remarkable.
Many of us with fbody true duals are chasing issues re: Too Loud & Obnoxious with our higher power levels. I for one experimented with multiple mufflers in an effort to swap out the straight through bullets for something that will make the exhaust tolerable for street use. I ended up squeezing oval magnaflows in the space. It sounds great but I have always preferred the sound of a chambered muffler.

Is is it possible to get the dims of the mufflers ? From what I see in the pic, I estimate about 8” x 5” in width & height but can’t get a view of the length. ( I’d call Kokks directly but ....it’s the weekend).

note: us fans are demanding a sound clip !
Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
I visited Kooks last year, great facility & the family run business is remarkable.
Many of us with fbody true duals are chasing issues re: Too Loud & Obnoxious with our higher power levels. I for one experimented with multiple mufflers in an effort to swap out the straight through bullets for something that will make the exhaust tolerable for street use. I ended up squeezing oval magnaflows in the space. It sounds great but I have always preferred the sound of a chambered muffler.

Is is it possible to get the dims of the mufflers ? From what I see in the pic, I estimate about 8” x 5” in width & height but can’t get a view of the length. ( I’d call Kokks directly but ....it’s the weekend).

note: us fans are demanding a sound clip !
Yep, the guys there were really helpful. I'll try to get some dimensions, but it may be awhile. I need to jack it up to access them and I'm working on the interior at the moment. If you do call Kooks, ask for Brad and tell him the guy in the green Z28 sent you...For sure about the sound clip. It will be forthcoming!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound clip ?

Quick Reply: Kooks: chambered vs. straight thru PICTURES ADDED