Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley sniper low profile VS Ls6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley sniper low profile VS Ls6 intake

I just discovered yesterday that my ls6 intake is cracked close to 5 of the bolt holes. Looks like it was torqued too much but I know I always torqued it to spec. I’m not sure if it’s leaking but I want to just get a new one anyway as I wouldn’t know how to repair this one without sealing the crap out of it and making it look bad. Does anyone know where to find a new one? All Used ones I found stateside are too expensive for a stock intake, and the cheaper ones are from the Middle East. No thanks. In the event I can’t find a new one, do any of you have experience with the Holley Sniper EFI Low Profile intake, P/N 820111 and boost? I haven’t found any threads specifically for the low profile version. I definitely don’t want to hack up my hood. If so, will it fit under a ws6 hood, can I use stock style injectors, does it have a provision for map sensor, what all is needed to make it work? And lastly, how well does it perform in supercharged applications around 10lbs? Years ago I tried a Weiand aluminum intake and I lost 30rwhp compared to the Ls6 manifold on back to back pulls. Don’t want to do that again. I attached a pic of some of the cracks, any advice on a simple repair? Any help appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00blownWS6
I just discovered yesterday that my ls6 intake is cracked close to 5 of the bolt holes. Looks like it was torqued too much but I know I always torqued it to spec. I’m not sure if it’s leaking but I want to just get a new one anyway as I wouldn’t know how to repair this one without sealing the crap out of it and making it look bad. Does anyone know where to find a new one? All Used ones I found stateside are too expensive for a stock intake, and the cheaper ones are from the Middle East. No thanks. In the event I can’t find a new one, do any of you have experience with the Holley Sniper EFI Low Profile intake, P/N 820111 and boost? I haven’t found any threads specifically for the low profile version. I definitely don’t want to hack up my hood. If so, will it fit under a ws6 hood, can I use stock style injectors, does it have a provision for map sensor, what all is needed to make it work? And lastly, how well does it perform in supercharged applications around 10lbs? Years ago I tried a Weiand aluminum intake and I lost 30rwhp compared to the Ls6 manifold on back to back pulls. Don’t want to do that again. I attached a pic of some of the cracks, any advice on a simple repair? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Hard to see but to the right of the bolt on the tab

Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Look into the Dorman LS6 replacement. Good quality, good fit, and a decent price. Check with your local parts house and negotiate away.....
Old 09-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Do you by chance have a part number? Only one I could find at a regular parts store was for a LS3 intake
Old 09-06-2018, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

#615-900
Old 09-06-2018, 12:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Look into the Dorman LS6 replacement. Good quality, good fit, and a decent price. Check with your local parts house and negotiate away.....
shell gasket blows out easy on those with boost
Old 09-06-2018, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by big hammer

Ooops yeah, I just read the first post again where it says he runs boost. Or will....
Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I like the sniper for the ability to work around it. Much easier to get in and out, allows you to clean up some of the engine bay, etc
Old 09-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I like the sniper for the ability to work around it. Much easier to get in and out, allows you to clean up some of the engine bay, etc
which version of the Sniper do you have? And what else is needed to make it work, other than the throttle body? I see it comes with fuel rails. Also, is there a pro or con to the 92mm VS the 102mm? They’re the same price.

My car is procharged with a P1 about 8-10lbs for now.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 00blownWS6

which version of the Sniper do you have? And what else is needed to make it work, other than the throttle body? I see it comes with fuel rails. Also, is there a pro or con to the 92mm VS the 102mm? They’re the same price.

My car is procharged with a P1 about 8-10lbs for now.
I'm running the low profile LS7 version with 102mm throat. You'll need a few miscellaneous 1/4" and 3/8" NPT plugs and some spare vacuum hose. If you run a cable throttle, you'll need the cable bracket and a TB spacer to prevent the cam from hitting the plenum (unless you run the holly 105 throttle). The MAP will hook up to the fitting via hose like a remote mount, so you may want to extend your MAP harness wires to gain access. The brake booster hose will connect to the bottom of the plenum vs the rear, which is both really nice and a bit of a pain.

As for bolting it in, it's great, because you use much shorter bolts. When you first put it in, it will seem like it doesn't quite fit right, but as you tighten the bolts, it does good. You'll need to torque the bolts like 15 times following the proper pattern. zyou don't want loctite or anything, but using pipe dope will help hold them in place like very weak loctite.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

How well does it perform? Did you lose torque on the low end but gain more on the high end rpm’s? Thanks for all the info. I will most likely go this route for the price, especially if an aftermarket Ls6 won’t hold boost.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah it’s a higher rpm intake. But fits great. It fits better than a fast imo. You will lose some low end tq traded for high end hp. I didn’t notice a difference in low end though
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM

I didn't dyno before and haven't yet, but here's what I have noted. I had to reduce VE a bit in the low end. High end, I've added. The stock LS7 intake would not maintain MAP >93% above 5500 rpm at WOT. The Sniper is holding 100+ KPA out to 7K rpm. My peak airflow numbers went from 601 (Scaled due to 512 ECU limit) g/sec to 645 g/sec (also scaled, obviously). Power on the LS7 intake felt like it was fading pretty quick after 6500 RPM. The Sniper, I've hit the limiter hard at 7400 several times, and today bumped it up to 8K. No data on a 8K pull yet.

Now, mine being a 428, I think I'm over 500 lbs rwtq, and its a 4th gen F body, so i don't know that I would notice a slight low end torque loss on the butt dyno. I can accelerate uphill at 15mph in fourth without much throttle. i daily drive the thing. Personally, I think the larger engine likes the smaller runners.

Edit -- it does fit under the F body cowl and hood
Old 09-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, sounds like a winner. I was also looking at the bbk ssi, but I like the look of the Holley better. Waiting on new fuel pumps right now but after I get everything installed I’ll report back with results.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

It looks well made . I havent tested mine yet but looks nice so far
Old 09-07-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer

Yep which is why I find it comical in some of the other threads I've read where people are asking "what intake for my iron block with boost" and people say "oh just run an LS6 because Bozo the Clown and Zippy the Pinhead are running 8's at my local track with just an LS6 intake."

Sure it can be done, but why have a ticking time bomb just to be cheap?

Does a victor junior and arron's elbow fit under a stock SS hood and cowl?
Old 09-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Do any of you running the low profile sniper know if I need a custom strut tower brace? I have a UMI right now and there’s about a half inch clearance with the Ls6 intake.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the normal height Holley....it is cheap chinese crap and quality is I guess what you'd expect.

It does look nice, but mine wasnt even the correct angle to sit neatly into the heads, although it wasnt too hard to adjust with some brute force and a scissor jack lol. Port alignment with my TFS cathedrals was terrible though

All fixable stuff to a degree. Also their fuel rails...one end of mine had not been machined correctly for the o-ring fittings and the correct size o-ring would get chewed up when you tightened the fitting in. The other end was fine though so I had to source fractionally thinner o-rings. I'm sure most probably wouldnt even notice this.

Despite the expectation to lose power almost everywhere even with this...it doesnt feel it on the road so no big deal there and mine is turbocharged so if anything the low end should be even more noticeable.

With the blower, even the little P1, the short runner intake probably wont get hurt terribly, and sure if it fits and is cheap and you like the look of it....what matters ?
Old 09-14-2018, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up getting the BBK SSI intake and the BBK fuel rails. Looks nice and fits nice. We’ll see how well it performs when I get the dual fuel pumps back in and go for a SD tune.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I had the BBK before I changed to the Holley.

The BBK was fine, fitted well etc. I disliked the steel baseplate so I made a new one from think it was around 4mm thick aluminium and bolted and bonded it into place. Just didnt trust the steel plate with 25+psi boost.